Texas Hunting Forum

Opening weekend turned into a hog hunt

Posted By: Sparta

Opening weekend turned into a hog hunt - 11/09/20 08:14 PM

I already got my trophy during bow season so I was determined to take out as many hogs as I could this weekend. I ended up with 8 confirmed and 4 others that I know didn't make it but I didn't bother looking for them (buzzards gotta eat too). The two on the 4wheeler were a 1 shot 2 down combo and I got an awesome ear hole shot on a 200lb boar. All in all I had a blast this weekend and took home one small boar and two sows for a Thanksgiving pig smoke. As a bonus I took the hearts out of a few bucks shot by other members.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Opening weekend turned into a hog hunt - 11/10/20 06:20 AM

lots of good vittles....
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Opening weekend turned into a hog hunt - 11/10/20 05:04 PM

Keep up the good work!
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Opening weekend turned into a hog hunt - 11/10/20 07:55 PM

Sounds like a great outing!
Posted By: Exiled

Re: Opening weekend turned into a hog hunt - 11/10/20 09:05 PM

Love the hearts! When I first moved to Texas I used to save the hearts from all deer (as I was taught as a kid) and everyone at our lease looked at me like I was nuts. No worries, more for me! Then I made the mistake of cooking heart for the boys a couple of different ways, and that's when the heart donations dwindled and eventually dried up completely! smile

If you want to try something cool, take a whole heart, trim the top clean but leave the heart whole, then stuff some garlic and fresh ginger into the cavity along with some salt and pepper. Then marinade the heart in a combination of soy sauce, brown sugar, a little fish sauce, a little Ponzu sauce, and minced garlic and minced serrano peppers (for a day). Then smoke the whole heart until it reaches 140, then let it rest and slice it. Money!
Posted By: Sparta

Re: Opening weekend turned into a hog hunt - 11/10/20 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Exiled
Love the hearts! When I first moved to Texas I used to save the hearts from all deer (as I was taught as a kid) and everyone at our lease looked at me like I was nuts. No worries, more for me! Then I made the mistake of cooking heart for the boys a couple of different ways, and that's when the heart donations dwindled and eventually dried up completely! smile

If you want to try something cool, take a whole heart, trim the top clean but leave the heart whole, then stuff some garlic and fresh ginger into the cavity along with some salt and pepper. Then marinade the heart in a combination of soy sauce, brown sugar, a little fish sauce, a little Ponzu sauce, and minced garlic and minced serrano peppers (for a day). Then smoke the whole heart until it reaches 140, then let it rest and slice it. Money!

I usually either make heart chili tacos, chicken fry, or ceviche. I'll definitely give this recipe a try.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Opening weekend turned into a hog hunt - 11/11/20 01:08 AM

Nice work
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum