Texas Hunting Forum

12 Gauge Chokes and Shells for Hog Hunting

Posted By: Jet1902

12 Gauge Chokes and Shells for Hog Hunting - 10/22/20 02:21 AM

I am going to be hog hunting soon with my 12 gauge. I plan on using 3 inch 00 Buckshot or 000 Buckshot. Which shell would work the best and what choke? I am shooting a Beretta a300 Outlander.
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: 12 Gauge Chokes and Shells for Hog Hunting - 10/22/20 04:24 PM

In the beretta I have had the best luck with the Carlson's .685 Extra Full and in the fancy chokes the Kick's Buckkicker in Standard Full with 00 and 000 buckshot.

The only way to know what buckshot works best in your shotgun is to pattern test your shotgun with different brands of 00 and 000 buckshot (If you can find them) and different chokes to find the tightest patterns.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Posted By: Tw0fish

Re: 12 Gauge Chokes and Shells for Hog Hunting - 10/22/20 08:12 PM

Depends mostly on the distance. Generally I’d say full or extra full, like turkey chokes for shots out to 50 yds. The difference between 00 and 000 is likely negligible.

As an alternative, if your shotgun will do it, a cylinder choke with Foster slugs could also be a solution.
Posted By: mikei

Re: 12 Gauge Chokes and Shells for Hog Hunting - 10/23/20 11:01 PM

Doesn't make any difference what brand of shotgun you use. You have to match the ammo to the shotgun/choke combinations until you find the brand of ammo that your shottie likes at the ranges you think you'll be shooting.
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: 12 Gauge Chokes and Shells for Hog Hunting - 10/24/20 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by mikei
Doesn't make any difference what brand of shotgun you use. You have to match the ammo to the shotgun/choke combinations until you find the brand of ammo that your shottie likes at the ranges you think you'll be shooting.

This.

Like I have said in other posts, going hunting with a shotgun you have not pattern tested is like going hunting with a rifle that is not sighted in. No shortcuts to performance.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: 12 Gauge Chokes and Shells for Hog Hunting - 10/24/20 03:32 AM

True dat.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum