Texas Hunting Forum

Do hogs see infrared?

Posted By: Douglas Tipton

Do hogs see infrared? - 10/18/20 02:26 PM

Two weeks ago in a sit I had a coyote come through and I lip squeaked to het hit to stop. He stopped for about a half second and bolted when he saw me. It was about 100 yards and I was camouflaged, backed up against a thicket under a pecan tree. Fast forward and last night I recovered my cards and I got to the last one. No, I dont have a tan shirt on. It's a camouflage shirt, as are the pants and the mosquito netting on my head and neck.

So I wondered, did the coyote spot me due to this and will the hogs spot me also?

Attached picture 20201018_091747.jpg
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Do hogs see infrared? - 10/18/20 02:40 PM

UV brighteners in laundry detergent, They say the animals that see good at night can see in the UV spectrum.
Posted By: bowbuilder1971

Re: Do hogs see infrared? - 10/18/20 02:54 PM

Spray your stuff down with ATSKO UV Killer spray. Then spray your laundry tray, inside the laundry drum and wipe down the inside of your dryer, because of all the detergents and the stuff in the dryer sheets that have been used in there. I have a cheap black light that I used when I was house training my dogs when they were pups. Helps find where they have peed. I check all my new stuff with it for UV’s. Don’t spray it on any type of Scent-Lok clothing. Hope this helps you out.

Re: Do hogs see infrared? - 10/18/20 10:43 PM

UV and infrared are different - opposite ends of the visible spectrum. I work with a specific UV application and some chemicals fluoresce under UV light. Game cams work off IR. Here is a picture of the tag and fabric...the actual fabric pattern can be seen on the video in person. Anyway, I think the colorant is invisible in the IR spectrum but my pants clearly have a pattern in IR. Not a textiles expert but curious why. Regardless, do hogs/coyotes see in IR? If so, my shirt screams at them.

Attached picture 20201018_173448.jpg
Posted By: Bigcat

Re: Do hogs see infrared? - 10/19/20 12:16 AM

Coyotes can see the IR light. When I turn mine on they look right at it instantly and bolt.

Hogs most of the time don't see it, but sometimes they look right at it.. So maybe they just see it as a dim light or the red glow in creates in the light.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Do hogs see infrared? - 10/19/20 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bigcat
Coyotes can see the IR light. When I turn mine on they look right at it instantly and bolt.

Hogs most of the time don't see it, but sometimes they look right at it.. So maybe they just see it as a dim light or the red glow in creates in the light.

Which IR, 850 or 940?
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Do hogs see infrared? - 10/19/20 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bigcat

No, they can't. They see the visible glow of your actual physical light, the same glow you see, which is below IR. They cannot see the throw of the light that is actually IR.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scie...ogs-use-color-vision-after-all-13168563/

Re: Do hogs see infrared? - 10/19/20 01:34 PM

Hogs and dogs will notice my cameras - some will spook, others not. The cameras make a slight noise when they come on, plus I think there is a segment of visible spectrum as well. I did a little more digging and the IR spectrum is more associated with heat (think rattlesnake) as opposed to Uv which is associated with stuff glowing in the dark. Plus hogs are known for not having good reception in red and green wavelengths, so I'm thinking no to my original question.

Re: Do hogs see infrared? - 10/19/20 01:34 PM

Hogs and dogs will notice my cameras - some will spook, others not. The cameras make a slight noise when they come on, plus I think there is a segment of visible spectrum as well. I did a little more digging and the IR spectrum is more associated with heat (think rattlesnake) as opposed to Uv which is associated with stuff glowing in the dark. Plus hogs are known for not having good reception in red and green wavelengths, so I'm thinking no to my original question.

Re: Do hogs see infrared? - 10/19/20 01:35 PM

Posted By: GNTX

Re: Do hogs see infrared? - 10/20/20 08:33 PM

Some animals such as rats, have fairly decent vision in the UV spectrum. It allows them to see urine trails left by other rats. They are my backyard nemesis and I have done a bit of research to see if they can see my IR light (850nm so it has a slight red glow).

If you use a 940nm IR light, it won’t have a visible glow, but camera sensor based NV optics (digital) will be less sensitive to the 940 wavelength.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum