Texas Hunting Forum

Hog meat question

Posted By: bigjoe8565

Hog meat question - 08/24/20 12:55 PM

My son in law shot a sow last night at 8:00 and she sat for two hours before he removed the back straps. He thought he missed the pig and finished the hunt before looking for the hog. Question is, would the meat still be good or did it sit too long in the heat?
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Hog meat question - 08/24/20 01:08 PM

Should be fine. Slice off a sliver and pan fry it to check.
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Hog meat question - 08/24/20 01:09 PM

With this heat, IMO if the skin isnt off within 30 minutes, it goes to the yotes.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Hog meat question - 08/24/20 01:22 PM

What pokerj2 said. It just isn't worth the risk, imho.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Hog meat question - 08/24/20 01:24 PM

I can't say with any science behind it, so I won't. Me personally, I'd only consider it if it was much colder out, and then it would be a debate.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Hog meat question - 08/24/20 01:56 PM

In August? No way.

Re: Hog meat question - 08/24/20 02:06 PM

I told him I wouldn’t eat it, but would ask the experts here on the forum.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Hog meat question - 08/24/20 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by bigjoe8565
I told him I wouldn’t eat it, but would ask the experts here on the forum.

roflmao Oh, this place is crawling with "experts." Some of them have even killed a lot of game. grin
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Hog meat question - 08/24/20 02:51 PM

I always leave them in the months of July - September.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Hog meat question - 08/24/20 03:01 PM

It won't hurt anything, if your going to cook it to the right temp. Just keep it cleaner than if it was a cold day.

Here's a little tip.

https://blog.thermoworks.com/thermometer/hunting-season-dont-fall-prey-food-borne-illness/

"Hunters should also consider packing an instant-read thermometer to help track the cooling process following the kill. A Super-Fast Thermapen would allow you to quickly spot check the animal as it’s field dressed. Remember, bacteria in the danger zone (41-135°F), will begin to double every 20 minutes. Hazardous analysis and critical control point (HACCP) recording suggests the internal temperature of the carcass needs to reach 70°F within 2 hours and below 40°F within 4 hours of the kill."
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Hog meat question - 08/24/20 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
In August? No way.

Too easy to get another one....not worth the risk for me personally
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Hog meat question - 08/24/20 03:36 PM

Depends. Did it sit in the sun for two hours? or in the shade for two hours? Do you have the opportunity to shoot pigs whenever you wish? or do you only get a few opportunities a year? I can shoot as many pigs as often as I want to go sit, so I only keep them if they are shot in the cooler months.

Re: Hog meat question - 08/24/20 05:08 PM

He shot the hog at 8:00 last night and had the back straps out by 10:15.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Depends. Did it sit in the sun for two hours? or in the shade for two hours? Do you have the opportunity to shoot pigs whenever you wish? or do you only get a few opportunities a year? I can shoot as many pigs as often as I want to go sit, so I only keep them if they are shot in the cooler months.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Hog meat question - 08/24/20 05:51 PM

Those loins will be just fine, they are safe to eat. Have done the same many times shooting pigs at night. You have longer than a lot of folks think, especially at night.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Hog meat question - 08/24/20 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by bigjoe8565
He shot the hog at 8:00 last night and had the back straps out by 10:15.

Originally Posted by unclebubba

he should be completely fine with 2 hours
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Hog meat question - 08/24/20 09:26 PM

I almost always take meat from hogs that I shoot. Usually I cut off the leg quarters and back straps. While it can be done faster, by the time I shoot a hog, make sure it's down, take a few photos, stow my rifle, get my knives,etc., cut up the hog, drag off the carcass, cut the belly open so predators can have easy access, go back to the house, remove the skin and forelegs, clean off the hair and other debris, and get the meat on ice, it's typically about two hours.

Sounds like you're a little over that time limit, but not by a whole lot.

I think you're probably okay.
--
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Hog meat question - 08/25/20 12:45 PM

" he should be" does not make me extremely comfortable.

shoulda, woulda, coulda - none are endearing.

"probably" - ditto my remark above.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Hog meat question - 08/25/20 01:03 PM

Only takes a minute to make 2 pieces out of 'em'

[Linked Image]
Posted By: woods and plainsman

Re: Hog meat question - 08/27/20 05:52 AM

when I kill one in the heat, I usually skin em where they lay to help cool em off quick. Then I roll em around in the dirt to cover the meat with a layer of minerals to protect against the bacteria. Then I drag em back to camp, hang for 4 hours till the blood is all dried. Douse em with some vinegar to kill the stench and get em in the fridge. happy hunting
Posted By: yotehater

Re: Hog meat question - 08/27/20 11:44 PM

I don't see how that's too long if he cooled it down after 2 hrs. I don't even gut them or skin them. Just an incision down the middle of the back and fish out the back straps. The coyotes and buzzards can have the rest.
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Hog meat question - 08/28/20 12:12 AM

Yeah- I never thought about it but it doesn't seem too long.
Posted By: Ringer1

Re: Hog meat question - 08/29/20 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by woods and plainsman
when I kill one in the heat, I usually skin em where they lay to help cool em off quick. Then I roll em around in the dirt to cover the meat with a layer of minerals to protect against the bacteria. Then I drag em back to camp, hang for 4 hours till the blood is all dried. Douse em with some vinegar to kill the stench and get em in the fridge. happy hunting

That’s the craziest stuff I’ve ever heard.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum