Texas Hunting Forum

Before Breakfast Boar

Posted By: 218 Bee

Before Breakfast Boar - 08/13/20 01:21 PM

With another scorcher predicted today, the She-Wolf and I were out just after sun-up debating the clearing of more brush east of the house when my gal spotted movement a couple hundred yards to the south. Sure enough, a handful of hogs were moving west to east just the other side of the house pasture fence.

Handing Jane my coffee cup, I hopped the fence into the yard and went inside to grab my old Sako AI Varmint in .223 from the rack. It stays loaded for the occasional coyote sighting but would do well for this 200ish yard shot. Stepping back outside by the pool, I stepped around Jane's tomatoes and peppers and took a rest over a big ceramic planter. When one of the hogs gave me a clear shot, I sent a 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip downrange. The crack of the little rifle was followed by the satisfying "whump" of the bullet and I watched the hog drop to the shot.

Nothing huge; a 1/2 grown boar with a tiny hole centered in his left shoulder. So no matter how the rest of the day goes, it started out in the plus column!

Mark

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Before Breakfast Boar - 08/13/20 01:50 PM

great view
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Before Breakfast Boar - 08/13/20 02:56 PM

That is a great way to start the day! Congrats!
Posted By: JTPinTX

Re: Before Breakfast Boar - 08/13/20 04:07 PM

Haha, gotta love that. An accurate rifle and good bullet placement usually does the trick. Resting on the wife's ceramic planter is a bonus.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Before Breakfast Boar - 08/13/20 04:28 PM

Pork Chops!
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Before Breakfast Boar - 08/13/20 04:52 PM

Definitely a good start to the day.

Keep After 'Em!
Posted By: 218 Bee

Re: Before Breakfast Boar - 08/13/20 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by JTPinTX
Haha, gotta love that. An accurate rifle and good bullet placement usually does the trick. Resting on the wife's ceramic planter is a bonus.

Yeah, if she plants anything in that I'm gonna have to find another rest!
Posted By: Chopperdrvr

Re: Before Breakfast Boar - 08/14/20 03:04 AM

Nice going. Great way to start the day.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Before Breakfast Boar - 08/15/20 12:40 PM

Dead dirty pig with a classy rifle - well done! 'Looks like a beautiful place to live. up
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Before Breakfast Boar - 08/15/20 04:23 PM

Very nice!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum