Texas Hunting Forum

Snakes are out.

Posted By: JTPinTX

Snakes are out. - 08/03/20 03:34 PM

Came up on this prairie rattler the other night out hunting. Another night hunting friend of mine killed one the next night. They are out and moving so be careful. Sight offset gave me a perfect head shot, took it clean off. Video with my XQ50 Thermion.

https://youtu.be/4ccXjUcsNE8

Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Snakes are out. - 08/03/20 03:36 PM

up
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Snakes are out. - 08/03/20 03:37 PM

Thermal videos never get old. That's great
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Snakes are out. - 08/03/20 04:08 PM

Great vid, but snakes have been out all spring and summer, lol. Once it is above freezing, they may be out and moving.

Re: Snakes are out. - 08/03/20 04:44 PM

They are always around I know. You can even find them on warm days in the middle of winter if you know where to look. But it seems like I always see more in August/Sept/Oct. Not sure why that is.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Snakes are out. - 08/03/20 04:45 PM

Snakes, along with walking into spider webs are the two things that bother me the most when it comes to night hunting. So far I’ve never had a close encounter witha snake that I’m aware of at night, but that’s why I’m faithful to wear my snake boots.

Re: Snakes are out. - 08/03/20 06:44 PM

We didn't find any pigs, but that property is ate up with call shy coyotes. There were 6-8 of them out in the irrigated grass circle with his cows, but most of them ran the other way as soon as I blew the call. They have been called A LOT by guys calling out of their pickups. I did get one to close to 225 yards, and I put a head shot on him. No video though. I was playing tag with him going back and forth behind a brush pile. I kept having to move my tripod. I had to take the shot as soon as I got a clean opportunity.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Snakes are out. - 08/04/20 11:12 AM

I lived on the edge of the prairie in Colorado where we had Prairie Rattlers. They would migrate one direction in the spring and back again in the fall. That is where I got my nick name from catching them, making hatbands etc... The gravel roads would be full of them during this migration period

Re: Snakes are out. - 08/04/20 01:36 PM

Yes RattlesnakeDan, that is exactly what we see. Once in the spring and then again in the fall there are high movement periods. This is also the time of year we see lots of tarantulas moving about as well.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Snakes are out. - 08/04/20 02:52 PM

Good magic trick! One second he was there, then he was gone!
clap
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Snakes are out. - 08/05/20 12:58 AM

cheers
"i'm scared of me own shadow, reason i hog hunted @ night slinger... "
pappy.

Stay Safe...
flag
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Snakes are out. - 08/05/20 03:11 AM

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum