Texas Hunting Forum

NEOWISE 10

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

NEOWISE 10 - 07/18/20 10:55 PM

We looked to the skies for a sign, and then the hunt began...

Posted By: Bar-D

Re: NEOWISE 10 - 07/19/20 12:18 PM

up
Posted By: mikei

Re: NEOWISE 10 - 07/19/20 12:52 PM

Only 10 for the night? That's a real shame, Maybe better luck tonignt!! Way to go, guys!!
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: NEOWISE 10 - 07/19/20 04:03 PM

Looks like fun

Re: NEOWISE 10 - 07/19/20 04:12 PM

Yeah, between cattle and trying not to shoot over the tops of hills, that was it, but it was a personal best for Ben and I, together.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: NEOWISE 10 - 07/19/20 04:25 PM

Good work.
I really enjoy watching your and ben’s self control on those shots. In the moment when hogs are flying and bullets are spraying, it is easy to forget not to shoot over hills and such things. Your videos are always the exemplification of good hunting method, self control, and patience. Awesome job!
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: NEOWISE 10 - 07/19/20 05:12 PM

Holy Cow!
You guys hit TEN pigs!

Most excellent work!
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: NEOWISE 10 - 07/19/20 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by EastTXbound
Looks like fun

It is a lot of fun!
Posted By: Ratherbefishing

Re: NEOWISE 10 - 07/19/20 08:55 PM

Keep these videos coming. I look forward to them...
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: NEOWISE 10 - 07/19/20 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ratherbefishing
Keep these videos coming. I look forward to them...

X2......Excellent!!!

Re: NEOWISE 10 - 07/20/20 12:29 AM

I will. I should be out multiple times this week. Pig Popper ran me ragged the other night. I thought we had an easy night planned, but he just wanted to keep going and going...
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: NEOWISE 10 - 07/20/20 02:01 PM

It's incredible with the amount of trapping, thermal hunting, traditional hunting, and helicopters that the hog population continues to grow. Good work

Re: NEOWISE 10 - 07/20/20 02:43 PM

TKandMike,

Thanks!

The population is probably growing, but not at the pestilence rates claimed. All of the hunting, trapping, helihunting, and automotive impacts apparently are doing a very good job of making the population growth quite slowly.

I make fun of the projections of hog populations because I am not sure that they are real or based on any actual reality, but the claim is that we have a 20% growth of hogs every year despite the numbers of hogs hunted, trapped, killed in vehicular accidents, etc. Now, this article by my former colleagues at TAMU say 18-21% growth, so let's round it to 20%. https://today.tamu.edu/2019/12/12/feral-hogs-increase-their-urban-and-suburban-sprawl/ This was back in 2012 when they were saying we had 2,600,000 hogs. Mind you, we had estimate of 2 million hogs going back a decade before that and a 20% annual growth compounded over 10 years does not equate to 2,600,000. And looking at 20% growth since 2012 with a growth of 20% compounded annually...

2012 2,600,000
2013 3,120,000
2014 3,744,000
2015 4,492,800
2016 5,391,360
2017 6,469,632
2018 7,763,558
2019 9,316,270
2020 11,179,524

Here we are in 2020 and nobody is saying we have over 11 million hogs in Texas. Nobody is saying we have over half that amount, though there are still claims of a 20% growth rate and the need to kill off 70-75% of the population just to keep it stable. Supposedly, we are now at about 3.0 million hogs in Texas. https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/...are-now-encroaching-on-houstons-suburbs/ If that is the case, then the 18-21% growth per year is pure hogwash. Hunting is having a huge impact on hogs. It could be more. We are not ahead of the problem, but hunting is a significant factor.

When folks come up with a hog census, how do they count the hogs? From what I can find, they sample a number of habitats, figure out how many hogs are in their limited sample areas, and extrapolate that information to other habitats around the state based on factors such as carrying capacity, which is an estimation of its own. I think that in this case, the errors of calculation don't cancel out one another, but instead compound.
Posted By: LFD2037

Re: NEOWISE 10 - 07/20/20 03:35 PM

In your video, you say you’re shooting ELD-M. What’s the reason for shooting a match bullet? Why not the ELD-X?
Thanks.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: NEOWISE 10 - 07/20/20 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by LFD2037
In your video, you say you’re shooting ELD-M. What’s the reason for shooting a match bullet? Why not the ELD-X?
Thanks.

I don’t believe a Hornady factory load exists for Grendel with that bullet ..,,

Re: NEOWISE 10 - 07/20/20 06:43 PM

You may be correct. I was thinking 6.5 CM.

Re: NEOWISE 10 - 07/20/20 06:59 PM

Thanks.

What Pig_Popper said and the fact that manufacturers put all sorts of monikers on bullets in order to sell them. What does it matter if a bullet is marketed as a match bullet? Does that mean it won't work for hunting? Do all bullets labeled as "hunting" bullets work well for hunting?

Hornady originally made the AMAX which was a match bullet and for years DID NOT RECOMMEND it for hunting, particularly medium and large sizes of game. You can google old ads that say as much, though the bullet is now almost totally discontinued. However, people loved the AMAX for deer hunting and some liked it for hog hunting. Here back in 2012, vanguard is quoting Hornady that they are not recommended for hunting...
https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3792008/Hornady_A-max_for_hunting!

So I have no problem trying out ammo/bullets to see what will work. Sometimes I am surprised. Federal Speer TNT 90 gr. is marketed as a varmint round which makes it sound like it is only good for thin skinned little critters, but it is an excellent hog round. Turns out, it isn't quite so amazing on little critters like skunks, not like say V-Max or Varmageddon are.
Posted By: JTPinTX

Re: NEOWISE 10 - 07/20/20 07:48 PM

I shot the 100 ELDM out of my Grendel on some pigs and it worked fine. Dug pretty deep, good penetration and damage. I wasn't as impressed with it on coyotes though, seemed like it didn't open up quite as fast as I prefer on them. I was shooting it about 2625 fps out of a 16" barrel.

I really liked the AMAX as a hunting bullet. The 120 AMAX in a Grendel was good.

Re: NEOWISE 10 - 07/20/20 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Thanks.

What Pig_Popper said and the fact that manufacturers put all sorts of monikers on bullets in order to sell them. What does it matter if a bullet is marketed as a match bullet? Does that mean it won't work for hunting? Do all bullets labeled as "hunting" bullets work well for hunting?

Hornady originally made the AMAX which was a match bullet and for years DID NOT RECOMMEND it for hunting, particularly medium and large sizes of game. You can google old ads that say as much, though the bullet is now almost totally discontinued. However, people loved the AMAX for deer hunting and some liked it for hog hunting. Here back in 2012, vanguard is quoting Hornady that they are not recommended for hunting...
https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3792008/Hornady_A-max_for_hunting!

So I have no problem trying out ammo/bullets to see what will work. Sometimes I am surprised. Federal Speer TNT 90 gr. is marketed as a varmint round which makes it sound like it is only good for thin skinned little critters, but it is an excellent hog round. Turns out, it isn't quite so amazing on little critters like skunks, not like say V-Max or Varmageddon are.

I hear ya. I’ve used AMAX on deer and hogs and was pleased with its performance. I was just curious if you knew something I didn’t! Would you say the ELD-M is comparable o the AMAX?
On a side note, why the heck did they do away with the AMAX?

Re: NEOWISE 10 - 07/23/20 02:22 AM

On a side note, why the heck did they do away with the AMAX?

Just FYI;
Found a response on this from Hornady. It was that A-MAX & ELD-M won't have different load data (this was when ELD-M first came out) as they're the same bullet just w/a different/improved tip.

Re: NEOWISE 10 - 07/23/20 04:12 AM

Link?

Re: NEOWISE 10 - 07/23/20 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Link?

I found it as an email reply from Hornady somewhere while I was searching A-MAX vs. ELD-M. I’ll see if I can find it again.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum