Texas Hunting Forum

Anybody ever seen a hog jump?

Posted By: Rifleman1775

Anybody ever seen a hog jump? - 07/15/20 02:01 AM

Recently I had some pics of pigs getting into my new feeder pen, but couldn't figure out how the bigger pig got in. Some of the hog panels were cut down shorter due to feeder and stand elevation, and I thought that she might be climbing over the shorter panels. Well....my brother and his buddy went to the lease and slipped in to my stand/feeder location to see if he could catch this pig in the pen and shoot her and any others in the area. Either she heard them coming or winded them. No surprise there. But what shocked them was that when she scrambled to leave the pen, she cleared the 34" high hog panel that wasn't cut down.......like a friggin' deer would do. Thankfully his buddy shot her. I just hope her piglets didn't learn from their flying pig of a momma.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Anybody ever seen a hog jump? - 07/15/20 02:09 AM

Posted By: Shaun Russell

Re: Anybody ever seen a hog jump? - 07/15/20 03:52 AM

Well that’s a first for me.
Posted By: Rifleman1775

Re: Anybody ever seen a hog jump? - 07/15/20 06:13 AM

Pig_Popper that's a pretty cool video. I've seen some similar videos. However, that wouldn't be what I'd consider "clearing" a fence. The pig that I'm referring to, actually ran at the panel and jumped like a deer, and cleared the 34" panel, without touching it!! LOL
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Anybody ever seen a hog jump? - 07/15/20 12:03 PM

Yes, I've seen them jump. Had a 253 lb. sow come within a hair of clearing the 52" panels of the trap, right where my nephew was standing. He had just retired after 20 years in the Air Force and this was the first time he helped me load trapped hogs. He is 6'3", and when she jumped, they were eyeball to eyeball. He nearly soiled his laundry, I got a big kick out of it. We got her and the others with her loaded in the trailer before she could try again.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Anybody ever seen a hog jump? - 07/15/20 12:24 PM

That's pretty wild watching that.

I had one jump out of a 5 1/2' tall pen a few feet away from me.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Anybody ever seen a hog jump? - 07/15/20 10:06 PM

Pigs CAN jump much better than folks think they can, they just choose not to most of the time. Any adult pig in good health can probably clear 36" no problem.

They will also 'climb' cattle/utility panels.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Anybody ever seen a hog jump? - 07/16/20 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rifleman1775
Recently I had some pics of pigs getting into my new feeder pen, but couldn't figure out how the bigger pig got in. Some of the hog panels were cut down shorter due to feeder and stand elevation, and I thought that she might be climbing over the shorter panels. Well....my brother and his buddy went to the lease and slipped in to my stand/feeder location to see if he could catch this pig in the pen and shoot her and any others in the area. Either she heard them coming or winded them. No surprise there. But what shocked them was that when she scrambled to leave the pen, she cleared the 34" high hog panel that wasn't cut down.......like a friggin' deer would do. Thankfully his buddy shot her. I just hope her piglets didn't learn from their flying pig of a momma.

Have I ever seen a hog jump? Sure, and 34" would have been no problem. Wounded, this hog cleared a 4ft fence. There is a slow motion version at the end...

Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Anybody ever seen a hog jump? - 07/16/20 04:31 AM

cheers awesome video...
flag
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Anybody ever seen a hog jump? - 07/16/20 09:48 AM

DNS, that is the videp I thought of when reading the first post
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Anybody ever seen a hog jump? - 07/16/20 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by kmon1
DNS, that is the videp I thought of when reading the first post

He was very motivated. roflmao