Texas Hunting Forum

Lice Removal

Posted By: HornSlayer

Lice Removal - 04/28/20 04:33 AM

Seems like every hog on our place is covered. Does anyone have a way to get them off in the field? They give me the heebeegeebees. I sprayed one down with some Adams flee spray and kilt the snot out of them. But then I had to wash the dang thing off before I skinned it. Will Rubbing Alcohol kill em?
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Lice Removal - 04/28/20 03:10 PM

If they are the big ones that look like small ticks at first glance, they are hog lice. They pose no threat to you as they are almost exclusive to hogs. I would not worry about them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haematopinus_suis

Re: Lice Removal - 04/28/20 03:32 PM

Just looking at them makes my skin crawl. lol
Even the Shoats have them. I'm thinking pyrethrum spray will be a safer alternative. Longer term I'm going to hang a backrubber were they most often enter into the pen to see if that helps over time?
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Lice Removal - 04/28/20 03:53 PM

Well, I was trying to alleviate the concern as best I could. I understand, but can't help you with the skin crawl issue.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Lice Removal - 04/28/20 05:37 PM

I've found a few hogs with lice. At first I was like you. I didn't want to deal with 'em. I just hauled those hogs off and left them for the buzzards and coyotes.

Eventually, as I learned a little more, I got to where I just scrape them away with my knife. I just take the leg quarters & back straps, so I'm not skinning the entire animal.

Now, if the underside of the hog is totally covered, I might be inclined to make another donation to the buzzard buffet and the coyote cafe.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Lice Removal - 04/28/20 05:47 PM

I'm getting the itches just by reading this thread. I trapped a boar a few weeks ago that was COVERED in these. As soon as I was done dealing with him, I stripped in the barn and shook my clothes out before throwing in laundry. Then proceeded to wash my hands about 20 times...eeek...
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Lice Removal - 04/28/20 07:13 PM

I've never saw that but man...I think I would leave it
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Lice Removal - 04/28/20 08:16 PM

I have heard that a creote soak on a post so the hogs will rub on it
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Lice Removal - 04/28/20 08:50 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Lice Removal - 04/28/20 09:02 PM

Heebeegeebees are REAL!
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Lice Removal - 04/28/20 10:58 PM

Take 'em for a ride like this first before cleaning

[Linked Image]

Charlie
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Lice Removal - 04/28/20 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
[Linked Image]

I actually just thought of taking my pear burner along to the trap and singeing them prior to taking just the backstraps out.

I like Charlie's "ride" idea too.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Lice Removal - 04/29/20 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I actually just thought of taking my pear burner along to the trap and singeing them prior to taking just the backstraps out.

I think a burner a little bigger than pear burner would work good. We used to make burners with zerks fittings, knock out the ball bearing and spring. We used a 3 foot long 1/4 black pipe and on one end add a T and 2 elbows with grease zerks. Rig up 4 zerks as burners and you would be in business burning hair off and the lice.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum