Texas Hunting Forum

Jumpers

Posted By: cos

Jumpers - 04/27/20 01:41 AM

Have caught hundreds of hogs in last 10 years and in last 2 weeks have had 2 big boars jump out without damaging the pens . One of the pens was made out of the 5ft tall horse panels. Looked like a 250 pounder. Went right over with no problem.
Posted By: Whammer7

Re: Jumpers - 04/27/20 01:45 AM

I guess that is how he became a 250 pound live hog, and continues to be!

He's got to tear himself up on the wire getting out
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Jumpers - 04/27/20 02:03 AM

worthless
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Jumpers - 04/27/20 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Stratgolfer
worthless
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Jumpers - 04/27/20 02:53 AM

Sounds like you got a Hogdini.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKJDrgbbf0w
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Jumpers - 04/27/20 01:33 PM

They're impressive animals. Just a strong will to live.
Posted By: Ramhorn

Re: Jumpers - 04/27/20 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by TKandMike

I am always amazed at how freaking fast they are. It makes me pucker when one starts running toward me out in a wheat field after taking a shot at one in a sounder. It isn't real easy shooting a hog that is running right at you while you are having visions of getting plowed with those cutters.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Jumpers - 04/27/20 03:25 PM

Here is a video of a wounded large hog clearing a 4ft fence. Yes, pigs can actually jump.

Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Jumpers - 04/28/20 05:33 AM

That's why we have trouble killing them out. I used to think deer had a strong survival instinct, but nothing like a hog. up
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Jumpers - 04/28/20 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Here is a video of a wounded large hog clearing a 4ft fence. Yes, pigs can actually jump.

Yes, I've telling folks for decades that they can jump higher than most people think they can, they just elect not to most of the time. And what they cant jump..they will 'climb' if it will support their weight.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Jumpers - 04/28/20 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ramhorn
Originally Posted by TKandMike

I am always amazed at how freaking fast they are. It makes me pucker when one starts running toward me out in a wheat field after taking a shot at one in a sounder. It isn't real easy shooting a hog that is running right at you while you are having visions of getting plowed with those cutters.

I've never been surprised at how fast they are ( top speed) but I've always been amazed how quickly they can attain that speed. When they really want to 'scoot' they can go from a dead stand still to full speed in about 3 jumps.
Posted By: Believer

Re: Jumpers - 05/02/20 08:49 PM

That is exactly why we built 6foot panels. Loosing pigs over the top of 5footers. Have not lost one since and doing near 100 a month.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Jumpers - 05/03/20 01:28 AM

[Linked Image]
I have seen 200-250 pound hogs try to climb out of this trap, they cannot do it. Trapped hogs for the most part will leap a few feet, then climb after their front legs get over the top (except for DNS's flying pig). With the double top rail they cannot get their rear feet in the hog panel to push up, so they just fall right back in the trap. I have watched pigs that had a pretty good leap fall right back in over and over again.
Even in the video that Old Shakie posted, those pigs leaped and then climbed.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum