Texas Hunting Forum

Hog calling

Posted By: NastyNate33

Hog calling - 03/14/20 05:31 AM

I’ve hunted white tail in the Midwest for years and just recently got into hog hunting in Texas. I’m starting to realize there’s a lot of differences between the 2. Does anyone have tips on calling them in or what to look for when finding a good spot?
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Hog calling - 03/14/20 06:55 PM

Be very polite, always say “sir” & “ma’am” as this is Texas and be patient.

Outside of that, I don’t know if there’s a science to it like ducks. I’ve used my Convergent caller several times and have been successful more times than not. I start with some mellow stuff (feeding, greeting) and then ratchet up on through to fights/hysteria etc. I do think you can have it too loud.

If you’re coming for a day hunt you’re paying for, I don’t know that I would invest in one. Regular corn feeding is generally all that is necessary.

Charlie

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Hog calling - 03/18/20 04:52 AM

welcome
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Hog calling - 03/22/20 03:54 PM

welcome ta texasHF
On the WMA's i've hunted, & have hunted several, thickest hard ta reach area's, found em in tall grass, palmedo, switch cain, downed trees, (roots pulled up, wallow, the bed down on shadded side or under branchs). Creeks, edges of slews... Hogs have no sweat glands reason for wallow's also helps with ticks, fleas, mites & such.. Dont lnow of any of the WMA's that allow hog hunts at night with NV or Thermal.
& as have pointed out in the public hunting section. They can be hot spots due ta the 24-7-365 preasure on privite land... Tis not an execative hunt...
Just my 2cents i got cheap posts...
flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum