Texas Hunting Forum

Pig barrel question

Posted By: Old Shakie

Pig barrel question - 02/10/20 11:00 PM

I am planning on building a pig barrel. How big should I make the holes and how many holes?
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Pig barrel question - 02/11/20 02:31 PM

I like the Blue mid size plastic barrels. the ones that come with handles and I think are 15 gallon. Remove the handles and run a big enough quick link through the hole where the pin went, a swivel 4 feet of chain, another swivel, a removable link with a 2 inch ring to put over a Tpost. Put the holes near the top of the drum so you can carry it without losing corn, will hold a full bag of corn. Hole size? When I first put them out I like bigger holes to train them on, 3/4 inch, then to save corn go 5/8ths of an inch on the next one you make. Or just use good duct tape to cover one of the holes.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Pig barrel question - 02/11/20 05:51 PM

If you're going traditional, using a 6" pipe that's about 5' long, I think 2 or 3 holes 3/8" diameter are sufficient.
Posted By: MoTex

Re: Pig barrel question - 02/15/20 01:59 PM

PVC works better, squirrels chewed holes in my plastic barrel so corn poured out quick, hard
to keep duct tape on it so plan on changing often.
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Pig barrel question - 02/17/20 04:25 AM

I'm with Mo and Der. I put a false bottom in mine with a few rocks to make it rattle when rolled.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Pig barrel question - 02/17/20 02:24 PM

I really thought a pig pipe was the cat's-[censored] for a bit... the primary problem is my 6-7ft'ers (with false bottoms) get emptied out in a night, so they have no longer term staying power. I only have (2) 3/8-1/2 holes in mine. I also tried a blue water barrel once but it didn't last a month before it was ripped up.

Charlie
Posted By: DoubleDrop32

Re: Pig barrel question - 03/20/20 01:57 AM

https://www.bossbuck.com/30lb-swine-log-feeder/

Buy this or make something like this yourself. Works great
Posted By: MikeU

Re: Pig barrel question - 03/20/20 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tblack032
https://www.bossbuck.com/30lb-swine-log-feeder/

Buy this or make something like this yourself. Works great

I wanted to try this when I still had a place to hunt.
Posted By: KK30RAR

Re: Pig barrel question - 03/20/20 03:31 AM

Make your own pig barrel out of a beer keg totally indestructible holds 80# of corn and yes they can roll it when it’s full [Linked Image]
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Pig barrel question - 03/20/20 03:42 AM

KK that one is a brute, dang bigun.
Posted By: KK30RAR

Re: Pig barrel question - 03/20/20 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dalee7892
KK that one is a brute, dang bigun.

As far as I know nobody has shot him he’s still out there
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Pig barrel question - 03/21/20 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by KK30RAR
Make your own pig barrel out of a beer keg totally indestructible holds 80# of corn and yes they can roll it when it’s full.

I think you have a cow running around in a pig costume... that’s a big dude there on the right. You could make barrel out of a VW for him to roll around.

Charlie
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum