Texas Hunting Forum

Hog trap working great

Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Hog trap working great - 02/09/20 07:19 PM

The hogs are starting to be more and more comfortable in this trap. Got two last Sunday and three today

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Whammer7

Re: Hog trap working great - 02/09/20 07:37 PM

I like the picture where they are sleeping

wink
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Hog trap working great - 02/09/20 08:22 PM

Most Excellent!

One thing I've learned in my limited trapping experience — Try to shoot them so that they don't fall against the trap door! roflmao
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Hog trap working great - 02/09/20 09:18 PM

I always like shooting them next to the door...I'm too old to bend over and get them dragged out from the rear of the trap !!

Re: Hog trap working great - 02/09/20 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by der Teufel
Most Excellent!

One thing I've learned in my limited trapping experience — Try to shoot them so that they don't fall against the trap door! roflmao

That’s why I put a side door on this trap😁

Re: Hog trap working great - 02/09/20 09:27 PM

And with the cell phone trigger I only trap them on Friday and Saturday night when the weather is not going to be too bad the next day
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Hog trap working great - 02/09/20 09:33 PM

I had problems dragging big dead hogs out of my traps. Finally I got a long sturdy pole and put an eyebolt in the end and ran a loop of thin plastic covered wire through it. Now I can run the pole in the trap, loop the wire around a leg and drag em out. And, if necessary I can drag them away from the door.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Hog trap working great - 02/09/20 10:44 PM

up
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Hog trap working great - 02/09/20 11:03 PM

good work Steve
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Hog trap working great - 02/10/20 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55
good work Steve
Posted By: Espy

Re: Hog trap working great - 02/10/20 02:20 AM

Congrats and keep trapping up
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Hog trap working great - 02/10/20 03:30 PM

good stuff
Posted By: Woj

Re: Hog trap working great - 02/10/20 04:31 PM

Heck yeah. Add them to the 2020 Hog count, and keep adding to the total!!!! smile
Posted By: 4ofaKind

Re: Hog trap working great - 02/13/20 07:58 PM

Good job!!!

I am very interested in your cell phone trigger setup. I have what appears to be the same style trap door setup on two round pens at my place. We are currently having challenges getting the hogs in the traps when we have the gates set. They will go in at times when we wire the gates up. We have had success in the past using these setups. I have been looking around at some of the complete round pen setups that are cell phone activated, but it sure can get expensive fast. Using what I currently have and adding a cell phone activated trigger would save a significant amount.
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Hog trap working great - 02/17/20 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by 4ofaKind
Good job!!!

I am very interested in your cell phone trigger setup. I have what appears to be the same style trap door setup on two round pens at my place. We are currently having challenges getting the hogs in the traps when we have the gates set. They will go in at times when we wire the gates up. We have had success in the past using these setups. I have been looking around at some of the complete round pen setups that are cell phone activated, but it sure can get expensive fast. Using what I currently have and adding a cell phone activated trigger would save a significant amount.

Same here. Can you elaborate on the cell setup?
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Hog trap working great - 02/19/20 06:45 PM

Good Job. Another request Steve for some instruction, share and tell on your cell activation set up? Thanks

Re: Hog trap working great - 02/19/20 09:04 PM

I have built several DYI remote traps. They were all 3G now need a 4G set up. I have not built any 4G remotes yet because my cameras were also 3G. My new cameras will be here in late March. You should be able to build a remote for around 300 dollars.Hunter Steve uses a trunk latch to release his traps. I use a push pull solenoid. that pulls a handle that releases my guillotine gate. here is an old post to give yall an Idea what is involved.

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...ess-trigger-anyone-done-this#Post6786468

Re: Hog trap working great - 02/21/20 09:33 PM

I'm now using a 4G Kioa Time GSM controller and an ATT sim card that runs me $25 for three months.

Seems the controller is hard to find but here is a 2 channel one I just found https://www.anaclassic.com/usa-swit...uto-dc-us4g-4g-sms-app-relay-android-gsm

I use a 4 channel version that I got on Amazon for $135 and it has worked great. It does eat up power. So you need to have a big battery and or solar charger set up on it

As Espy said I use an electronic trunk latch to release my trap. Those can be found on ebay for under $30 now.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Hog trap working great - 02/22/20 01:27 AM

That sure is a lot of hardware around you trap, amazing what animals can get used to being part of their environment.

I solved the pigs behind the door problem, and dragging them out of that little door sucked. Hinge the bottom.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Hog trap working great - 02/22/20 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
I solved the pigs behind the door problem, and dragging them out of that little door sucked. Hinge the bottom.

Where's the LIKE button ??

Actually, the hogs around here won't go into a trap that has a bottom.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Hog trap working great - 02/22/20 06:20 PM

cheers coolpics
Still like the bigger cyrcle traps with funnel around side, were hogs can push open door.
flag

Re: Hog trap working great - 02/27/20 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by colt.45
cheers coolpics
Still like the bigger cyrcle traps with funnel around side, were hogs can push open door.
flag

Those work great if you can go get them any day of the week. I'm going to build one this weekend but put a Cell Phone trigger on it so I can close the gate only when there is a full sounder in there as well as I can go get them the next day.

I'll post pictures when it's built.

Re: Hog trap working great - 03/03/20 02:10 AM

Here’s the coral trap I built this weekend

[Linked Image]
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Hog trap working great - 03/03/20 03:39 PM

Looks good Steve. Remote trigger?

Re: Hog trap working great - 03/03/20 04:26 PM

That looks good 👍
Posted By: Pigmaster Yoda

Re: Hog trap working great - 03/05/20 03:48 AM

Well done nice hogs.

Re: Hog trap working great - 05/01/20 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55
Looks good Steve. Remote trigger?

I have the remote Cell trigger on it now. Caught 4 2 weeks ago. But have not seen one hog since.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Hog trap working great - 05/01/20 11:38 AM

wow- very cool

Re: Hog trap working great - 05/01/20 02:26 PM

Pics of the new servo Trigger mechanize I am now using:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Hog trap working great - 05/01/20 02:35 PM

and of course, Just when I say I have not seen a hog one shows up last night and went right in the coral trap. But I missed seeing it. If he shows up tonight he is BBQ.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ramhorn

Re: Hog trap working great - 05/03/20 11:42 AM

Good work. Just curious , do you feel you need to put that much corn on the ground? If you get a couple in there and you can't check the trap for awhile, seems like they would eat it all and add up your expenses.
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Hog trap working great - 05/03/20 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Hunter-Steve
and of course, Just when I say I have not seen a hog one shows up last night and went right in the coral trap. But I missed seeing it. If he shows up tonight he is BBQ.

[Linked Image]

Hunter_Steve, I think you got it all wrong. This guy just showed up to admire your new trap! He looks like so many of my trap wise guys...they stand there and look inside wishing for a bite of corn but never go in.

I admire your trap too....keep up the good work!
Posted By: HWY72

Re: Hog trap working great - 05/05/20 11:15 AM

[Linked Image]

Great looking set up Steve. Got all the cool tools too! What brand of post driver is that? Are they worth the investment?
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Hog trap working great - 05/05/20 07:33 PM

Real nice setup Steve!!!

Re: Hog trap working great - 05/05/20 08:51 PM

[Linked Image]
Looks good almost same setup I run

Re: Hog trap working great - 05/06/20 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by HWY72

[Linked Image]

Great looking set up Steve. Got all the cool tools too! What brand of post driver is that? Are they worth the investment?

I don't know what brand that post driver is. A friend brought it and it made this go so much faster. I would only invest in one if I had more than 50 post to dive myself. But with a friend that already has one I don't need to smile

Re: Hog trap working great - 05/06/20 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ramhorn
Good work. Just curious , do you feel you need to put that much corn on the ground? If you get a couple in there and you can't check the trap for awhile, seems like they would eat it all and add up your expenses.

The feeder only dispenses about a pound a day. I only trap them when I can go up there the next day.

In the meantime they get used to going in and eating all they want/can and fatten up for the harvest.
Posted By: Ramhorn

Re: Hog trap working great - 05/11/20 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ramhorn

The feeder only dispenses about a pound a day. I only trap them when I can go up there the next day.

In the meantime they get used to going in and eating all they want/can and fatten up for the harvest.

cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum