Texas Hunting Forum

Pig hunting with a 45?

Posted By: ccoker

Pig hunting with a 45? - 01/31/20 10:04 PM

I have seen this come up often on forums and had people ask me.. well, let me tell you that with good shot placement and a good bullet it works VERY well. I have shot numerous pigs and deer within what I would call "bow range" of 30 yards.. All went down fast and hard. My pistol is a Dan Wesson Valor shooting primarily Hornady Crticial Duty 220g +P. I had it fitted with a threaded factory barrel by my friends over at STI Guns in Georgetown. I installed a set of aftermarket suppressor sights from Novak. I run a Rugged Obsidian can.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Pig hunting with a 45? - 01/31/20 11:37 PM

up
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Pig hunting with a 45? - 02/01/20 03:53 AM

They work just fine.

My Daughter shot her very first hog at about 15 yds. with my .45acp. when she was just 14 yrs. old.

[Linked Image]

Re: Pig hunting with a 45? - 02/01/20 01:42 PM

Awesome!
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Pig hunting with a 45? - 02/01/20 02:33 PM

Nice.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Pig hunting with a 45? - 02/01/20 02:34 PM

I've taken a bunch of piggies with both my carbine and my various pistols chambered in 45ACP. My favorite load is 230 grain Speer Gold Dots loaded to the safe max limit. I keep my shots at ranges below 50 yards and always go for head or neck shots.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Pig hunting with a 45? - 02/02/20 12:47 AM

45 ACp or Colt work well on hogs and deer within their range limitations

Re: Pig hunting with a 45? - 02/02/20 03:20 AM

yep, really my point of the post is that you don't need a 10mm or 44 mag. 45 works, good ammo is available everywhere and you can buy pistols chambered in it cheap...

I have a bunch of different loads for the 45 from hot 185g Barnes, 230 JHP of all sorts, 250g +p hardcasts, etc..
I have been particularily impressed with the Hornady Critical Duty ammo in both 45 and 9mm. I have some very graphic images of a deer shot with the 45 load, complete pass through, massive trauma.. I have shot several hogs at close range with the 9mm out of my 8" AR with the 135+p
A few months back I tool a pig out with a headshot at 100 yards and 15 minutes later a doe at 60 with a heartshot.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Pig hunting with a 45? - 02/02/20 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ccoker
I have been particularily impressed with the Hornady Critical Duty ammo in both 45 and 9mm. .

I've had better (quicker) results with Critical Defense than with Critical Duty. I've dispatched a number of pigs (all sizes) that were caught in a large pen trap with Critical Duty and it acted too much like 'hardcast' for my liking.

Yes, it completely penetrated each pig (shot squarely though the shoulders, a bit high), but they took much longer to perish than with Critical Defense. In fact...so much so...that I stopped carrying Critical 'Duty' in my EDC. If I anticipated having to shoot through barriers (car doors, windshields, walls, doors, etc) then yes, Critical Duty.

But if it works for you....I certainly will not argue against it.

Re: Pig hunting with a 45? - 02/03/20 02:08 AM

hmm
I want to talk with a Hornady guy I know about the differences
I was assuming it was all marketing. and truth be told the Duty ammo comes in 50 round boxes and so getting 4-5 sample boxes to test of 50 each is sure more appealing than 20

I can see the duty ammo being more of a barrier blind round for LE use of course.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum