Texas Hunting Forum

Hog Bait Thread

Posted By: Gw123

Hog Bait Thread - 01/26/20 03:45 AM

Not sure if there is a thread for this already but starting a new one if there is for your preferred way to bait and attract hogs.

I make a concoction in a big tub that I mix 50 pounds of cattle cubes (the cheapest I can buy), 50 pounds of shelled corn, a 1/2 to 1 gallon of molasses syrup, and a big jar of koolaide mix. Then I put a generous amount of water in the tub and mix it all up. The water helps break the cubes down and softens them up. Then I seal it up and forget about it. Anytime I got to where I hunt I take the lid off and stir it up. And it eventually begins to ferment and makes a pundgent smell. The mixture needs to set for at least a week but itโ€™s good for months and months afterwords or until it runs out and hogs seem to really love it.

Looking forward to seeing and learning what everybody else uses and what works for them and hopefully somebody can find something new to try.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Hog Bait Thread - 01/26/20 07:03 PM

I think most folks will agree that all that work is only slightly better than just pouring corn on the ground, straight out of the bag.

Charlie
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Hog Bait Thread - 01/26/20 07:33 PM

Corn or whatever natural food they are currently eating.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Hog Bait Thread - 01/26/20 09:35 PM

I have done a lot of trapping and can tell you that a hog is use to their surroundings and the local offerings. I have places they would tear up the cattle cubes, other areas they would run from the smell of them and never touch one. They are like that.
I had wild hogs as pets and couldn't get them to eat an acorn until I pretended I was eating them. They really learn from their mama pig as they grow up and what is available and familiar with.
That being said, a good concoction of stuff usually works for most hogs, especially if it is easy access. After trying so many things I really have settled on steamed crimped corn with water and almond milk to soften and sweeten the smell up. Works good for trapping the young sell-able ones.
Or you can use plain old corn, but that is boring.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Hog Bait Thread - 01/26/20 09:54 PM

I make a mixture of feeds about like the OP due to the fact that I do not want to have to deal with coons, deer, turkey or javi's in my traps eating the corn or setting the traps off. I have used cattle cubes, deer pellets, cracked corn, pelleted sweet feed(has a lot of molasses) and milo in an old smaller cattle tub. I mix in the cherry flavored koolaid also when I add the water to the tub. I feed a trail of the cubes from outside the trap back to the bait tub. After I catch a hog(s) and kill them in the trap I spray the bloody areas and the trap down with the koolaid water mix or straight diesel to cover my scent and blood scent. In my area so many deer feeders are not penned up so I have to try to catch the hogs after the season up to the end of the summer. I have caught 11 this last week now using the bait mix of milo and range cubes in the tub with some cherry koolaid. Corn will catch hogs but dealing with all the other critters eating it or setting off the traps is a PITA.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Hog Bait Thread - 01/26/20 11:31 PM

I quit using kool aid because it is like raccoon crack around here, they can't stay away from it once they get the taste.
Posted By: noose

Re: Hog Bait Thread - 01/27/20 05:58 PM

Ok, great thread. I just put out another feeder with straight corn less than 50 years from areas where the hogs are tearing up the ground and close to my tank. It's been there for 2 days and not a single hog has hit it. I suspect it is just a matter of time before they discover the corn and it'll be busy as there is a ton of activity/tracks around/near the tank so I know they are there. But... something a lot simpler than above that will waft a smell and draw them in once so they know it is there might be a good idea.

Something smelly and simple? Koolaid and corn? Beer and corn? Or just some kind of "hogs gone wild" type feed in the bag at the supply store? I suspect I'll only need it once as I'll have the feeder running year 'round at the same time.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Hog Bait Thread - 06/28/20 11:18 PM

I'm still learning and perfecting my mix. Thanks to the posters on here. Deer are dainty eaters and, if the mix isn't fermented enough, they'll eat your corn without triggering your trap. And, I'm pretty sure I caught (saw) crows cleaning out my "premature" bait the other day. Right now my mix is corn, cherry jello mix, and original Miller (cheapest at Walmart), but I recently didn't let it set long enough. 'Too anxious to kill those vermin. "Let it get nasty" seems to be the key. up
Posted By: nak

Re: Hog Bait Thread - 06/29/20 03:22 AM

I've tried an number of brews and mixes. I've tried pig pipes, holes, and feeders a 100 yards apart with different baits. . Anything that's a little fermented, a little rotten, or sweet is better than plain corn.
Posted By: Douglas Tipton

Re: Hog Bait Thread - 06/29/20 08:39 PM

Elf pig's 5 food groups: corn, candy corn, corn syrup, corn pops, corn oil, and corn.๐Ÿ˜‰
Posted By: yotehater

Re: Hog Bait Thread - 07/02/20 04:11 PM

The problem with straight up corn is the cows and raccoons love it too. My prefered method is take the extra strength all steel post hole diggers or an auger and make a deep hole as small in diameter as you can keep it. Fill it up with corn and pour some old hot beer over it. Then cover it all back up. The cows and raccoons won't bother it, but once it starts fermenting and the hogs figure out it's only a few inches deep. Katy bar the door. They'll spend days or weeks working on it depending on how hard your ground is. It'll eventually be a nice round crater about 3 ft in diameter before you fill it back in. Go 50 feet and sink another one.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Hog Bait Thread - 07/02/20 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Gw123
Not sure if there is a thread for this already but starting a new one if there is for your preferred way to bait and attract hogs.

Only about a million others.
Posted By: glocker17

Re: Hog Bait Thread - 07/02/20 08:33 PM

Corn with a spritz of diesel, or just plain corn has always done just as well as every concoction I have tried. I have tried most every commercial product and none were productive when you factor cost. I.e. $12.95 for a little bag or attractant would never out perform 12.95 worth of corn. My homemade stuff was cheaper but still not worth money and effort.
Posted By: Douglas Tipton

Re: Hog Bait Thread - 07/05/20 06:47 PM

Landowner leaving it up to me. I think I'll wait until fall to decide.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum