Texas Hunting Forum

A Couple of Young Boars Down

Posted By: der Teufel

A Couple of Young Boars Down - 01/17/20 02:47 AM

Out with a buddy and we spied a sounder of hogs. We got as close as possible given that there was a small creek between us and the hogs. I put two down. The first one weighed 95#, the second was about 80#.
The bullet passed thru both shoulders of the first hog so we took the hindquarters and back straps. The smaller hog appeared to be covered with fleas, so it was left for the TBPS to clean up.

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: A Couple of Young Boars Down - 01/17/20 04:27 AM

Very good, dT!

I don't believe the 2nd hog was covered in fleas. If they were mostly stationary, then based on the size, I think they are hog lice. If you had a lot of movement, then fleas, but fleas should not be very common this time of year.

https://americanminipigassociation.com/mini-pig-health/identifying-swine-lice-ticks-fleas/
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: A Couple of Young Boars Down - 01/17/20 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Very good, dT!

I don't believe the 2nd hog was covered in fleas. If they were mostly stationary, then based on the size, I think they are hog lice. If you had a lot of movement, then fleas, but fleas should not be very common this time of year.

https://americanminipigassociation.com/mini-pig-health/identifying-swine-lice-ticks-fleas/

You are correct. There was little movement of the critters, and I certainly didn't expect to find fleas this time of year but didn't know what else they might be. I looked at the original photo and they look very much like the lice photos in the link you reference.
OTOH, whatever they were we weren't gonna mess with 'em! eeks333 bolt

That's the first time I've ever encountered them. I've seen various ticks from time to time, but not an infestation like that before.

Ya learn something new every day — well, some days … hammer
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: A Couple of Young Boars Down - 01/17/20 10:41 PM

Nice!
Posted By: pop r

Re: A Couple of Young Boars Down - 01/18/20 02:18 AM

up
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: A Couple of Young Boars Down - 01/18/20 05:15 PM

Good job Sir!
Posted By: JTPinTX

Re: A Couple of Young Boars Down - 01/20/20 08:16 PM