Texas Hunting Forum

Big hog down and the landowner couldn't be happier

Posted By: Texas Dan

Big hog down and the landowner couldn't be happier - 12/19/19 06:03 AM

Shot this guy late this afternoon with my Savage XP II chambered in .243. The landowner had been seeing him and believes its the same hog that busted out of neighbor's trap a few weeks back. He's been trying to trap him but he would have no part of it. Caught him leaving his bedding area and headed for a stock tank through a pinch point where I had placed a 10-ft ladder stand.

The gun is one I picked up at Academy some time ago as part of their rifle and free hunting license combo.

Remington 100 grain Corelokt. Leupold Rifleman 3x9x40 scope.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Big hog down and the landowner couldn't be happier - 12/19/19 12:25 PM

Good job!
Posted By: mikei

Re: Big hog down and the landowner couldn't be happier - 12/19/19 12:27 PM

Well done! One more down and out of the gene pool!!
Posted By: Pootie

Re: Big hog down and the landowner couldn't be happier - 12/19/19 02:32 PM

Another good hog!
Posted By: Bbq74

Re: Big hog down and the landowner couldn't be happier - 12/19/19 02:42 PM

Good job! Shot placement?
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Big hog down and the landowner couldn't be happier - 12/19/19 04:54 PM

Nice shooting
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Big hog down and the landowner couldn't be happier - 12/19/19 04:58 PM

Good job.

Re: Big hog down and the landowner couldn't be happier - 12/19/19 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bbq74

While I prefer neck shots, it was a front shoulder shot that presented itself first. He came from behind me and stopped directly to my left which made for a perfect shot from a right handed shooter. His head was pretty much covered with brush and a small tree but I could tell it was his shoulder I was seeing clearly when I took aim. At about 30 yards I felt it would be enough to create a fatal result. He ran back into the brush where I quickly heard him crash. Only took a couple of minutes to find him after waiting for about 10-15 minutes. I was in no rush only to have him drag off deeper into the brush.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Big hog down and the landowner couldn't be happier - 12/19/19 07:51 PM

I like neck shots when they're available, but if there's any doubt and I want the best chance to anchor the hog I go for a shoulder shot.

Nice work!

Re: Big hog down and the landowner couldn't be happier - 12/19/19 08:05 PM

Kudos appreciated.

I didn't want to appear to boast but here's a photo of a much smaller (maybe 60 lbs) hog I shot earlier yesterday afternoon in the same general area. He was in a small group that ran out of the brush and across the pasture where I was standing. While I do have a very rough practice regime, I give much of the credit for the roughly 150 yard running shot to luck. Funny how your best shots are often made on hogs, coyotes, and other nuisance critters. Maybe it's the absence of a fear of missing that makes the difference.

Same rifle, scope, and ammo.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Big hog down and the landowner couldn't be happier - 12/19/19 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Pootie
Another good hog!
Posted By: pnh

Re: Big hog down and the landowner couldn't be happier - 12/19/19 11:31 PM

I hate em with a passion! I've got acres of pasture that's rooted up solid where they've never rooted before.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Big hog down and the landowner couldn't be happier - 12/20/19 12:01 AM

up Nice job.
Posted By: Bbq74

Re: Big hog down and the landowner couldn't be happier - 12/21/19 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by Bbq74

While I prefer neck shots, it was a front shoulder shot that presented itself first. He came from behind me and stopped directly to my left which made for a perfect shot from a right handed shooter. His head was pretty much covered with brush and a small tree but I could tell it was his shoulder I was seeing clearly when I took aim. At about 30 yards I felt it would be enough to create a fatal result. He ran back into the brush where I quickly heard him crash. Only took a couple of minutes to find him after waiting for about 10-15 minutes. I was in no rush only to have him drag off deeper into the brush.

Fantastic! Sounds like an amazing adventure. Thank you for the feedback.
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Big hog down and the landowner couldn't be happier - 12/21/19 03:34 PM

Nice cutters!

Re: Big hog down and the landowner couldn't be happier - 12/21/19 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pappybear
Nice cutters!

Thanks.

Having cattle on his place, the landowner was fearful of losing young calves to this beast. I have no reason to believe large boars will not attack and eat newborn calves.

Re: Big hog down and the landowner couldn't be happier - 12/21/19 05:36 PM

My wife killed a big boar on our place that took over a feeder. He chased everything off and stayed close by. I had pictures of him several times a day for a week. We watched him run off anything that came close to the feeder.

Attached picture D9B3B7D2-63A1-4EB0-A2A3-C8A45E81A089.jpeg
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Big hog down and the landowner couldn't be happier - 12/21/19 05:56 PM

My wife killed a big boar on our place that took over a feeder. He chased everything off and stayed close by. I had pictures of him several times a day for a week. We watched him run off anything that came close to the feeder.

Mamabear did a good job on that beast.... up
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Big hog down and the landowner couldn't be happier - 12/21/19 07:16 PM

Nice job

Re: Big hog down and the landowner couldn't be happier - 12/21/19 10:46 PM

Thanks, That beast was 235lbs. I don’t want to hijack Texas Dan’s post. Just confirming his concerns that big boars get pretty aggressive with other animals in their home territory.

Re: Big hog down and the landowner couldn't be happier - 12/22/19 02:18 AM

Thanks, That beast was 235lbs. I don’t want to hijack Texas Dan’s post. Just confirming his concerns that big boars get pretty aggressive with other animals in their home territory.

The threads that I start are free to go wherever the conversation takes them so long as useful information is shared along the way.

Re: Big hog down and the landowner couldn't be happier - 12/22/19 02:42 AM

cheers
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Big hog down and the landowner couldn't be happier - 12/26/19 09:51 PM

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum