Texas Hunting Forum

Big Boar

Posted By: TexasOutdoorsman

Big Boar - 11/20/19 08:46 PM

Shot with sightmark wraith. Shot was a little low on the neck.

Do y’all think he died or made it?

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Big Boar - 11/20/19 09:13 PM

You know, that is supposed to be a DRT sort of central nervous system shot. You didn't shut down the CNS. The question then is, what did you hit? If, by chance, that went above the spine, he very well may be alive because you would have hit nothing but some fur, skin, and muscle. If it went below, you may have hit the esophagus, trachea, carotids, or jugulars. If the last two, then he probably died pretty quick. If the trachea, it may have taken a while, if he died. If you just hit the esophagus, he may survive or live for a long time before dying of starvation or thirst.

If it passed below the major blood vessels and airway and throat, then you got fur, skin, and muscle and he may live a long time.

What blood did you find?
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Big Boar - 11/20/19 09:33 PM

slowing down everything into as much a frame by frame as I can get it, it looks like you missed high.

My guess is you pulled the shot or the shot just went high based on the way the animal ran and didn't even stagger. In my experience a CNS attempted shot that hit but didn't hit cns still causes the animal to stagger for a second or two and then get up and run off. .

Re: Big Boar - 11/20/19 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
You know, that is supposed to be a DRT sort of central nervous system shot. You didn't shut down the CNS. The question then is, what did you hit? If, by chance, that went above the spine, he very well may be alive because you would have hit nothing but some fur, skin, and muscle. If it went below, you may have hit the esophagus, trachea, carotids, or jugulars. If the last two, then he probably died pretty quick. If the trachea, it may have taken a while, if he died. If you just hit the esophagus, he may survive or live for a long time before dying of starvation or thirst.

If it passed below the major blood vessels and airway and throat, then you got fur, skin, and muscle and he may live a long time.

What blood did you find?

Wow good assessment!

I found decent blood I think it hit low of the spine. It was not pouring out like a fountain but enough to where I could easily see it splattered on the grass. Didn’t go searching for him in the thicket he ran into.

My guess is just short of the spine decent internal bleeding and eventually bled out maybe 100 or so yards away.
If you watch it in slow motion or reduce the playback speed on yt you can see him shake his head and lift his front legs up like he got hit.

Btw this was shot with 300BO 110 Barnes Tac-TX

Re: Big Boar - 11/20/19 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
slowing down everything into as much a frame by frame as I can get it, it looks like you missed high.

My guess is you pulled the shot or the shot just went high based on the way the animal ran and didn't even stagger. In my experience a CNS attempted shot that hit but didn't hit cns still causes the animal to stagger for a second or two and then get up and run off. .

Yeah I definitely think I pulled the shot. I was walking up and didn’t have any shooting sticks just free hand. I think I got lucky and either nicked him high on the neck or low. Not 100% sure
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Big Boar - 11/21/19 02:08 PM

I feel like if you'd hit him with a Barnes Tac TX he'd be down relatively close.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Big Boar - 11/21/19 05:44 PM

I dunno, but to me it looked like the aiming point just before the muzzle flash was maybe just a smidgeon low, but still pretty good shot placement. It might depend upon exactly how your rifle is sighted in.
That is, if you sighted in for 100 yards and the hog was at 30 yards, the bullet may have hit a little lower than the aiming point. If the hog was 70 yards away it might have hit slightly high.

Overall, it looked to me like a pretty good shot.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Big Boar - 11/22/19 04:17 PM

Have you shot the rifle since this incident to confirm POI ?

Re: Big Boar - 11/22/19 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper
Have you shot the rifle since this incident to confirm POI ?

Shot this one last night. No adjustment scope is sighted in at 1inch high at 100. I just made a bad shot on that boar.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pop r

Re: Big Boar - 11/28/19 03:26 PM

up
Posted By: Douglas Tipton

Re: Big Boar - 12/01/19 04:16 AM

That jump, duck, and run..... Every time I've done a heart and/or lung shot they haul asterisk like that and I've found piled up, up to 100 yards away, sometimes with very little blood. I posted a vid a while back showing a blood trail from a heart shot - pig ran the same way that time too.

Re: Big Boar - 12/13/19 08:28 PM

UPDATE

Shot him last night under the full moon 240+lbs is my guess.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum