Texas Hunting Forum

Cool front, and hogs at the feeder

Posted By: 603Country

Cool front, and hogs at the feeder - 07/23/19 09:14 PM

Feels rather pleasant this afternoon, and there were maybe 8 pigs of various sizes at one of my feeders. One of them, Mom I assume, looked very big. Think I’ll dust off my 260 and get some use out of my new VX5 HD 3-15, with that nifty firedot.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Cool front, and hogs at the feeder - 07/24/19 12:41 AM

My estimate of 8 hogs was way low. They got to the feeder before I got to the blind, so I used a side rest on the blind support and shot the biggest one. Shortest hunting trip in a while.

The neighbors have 3 young boys visiting from the city, so I called to see if they wanted a hog ‘viewing’. They did, and were quite excited. And being boys, they had to examine bullet holes, check the snout for toughness, and look at the small tusks. A good time was had by all.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Cool front, and hogs at the feeder - 07/24/19 12:45 AM

Show and tell with a dead hog is often quite fun. Good for you!

Short hunts are okay as well. You got a hog. Congrats!
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Cool front, and hogs at the feeder - 07/24/19 12:50 AM

A short, successful hunt beats an unproductive all-nighter by a long shot!

Nice going, Keep After 'Em!
Posted By: papa45

Re: Cool front, and hogs at the feeder - 07/31/19 07:29 PM

Similar experience. I was working out at the lease on July 24. The weather was very pleasant. At 10:15 in the morning, I was standing out in the open, painting my box stand. I turned around and saw 10 pigs filing in to the feeder. They cleaned up all the corn while I stood there and watched. Of course, My rifle was in the car. Ten minutes after they left, another bunch of four came by to wallow in the mud of a small stock tank a few yards away.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum