Texas Hunting Forum

More visitors last night

Posted By: Old Stony

More visitors last night - 07/07/19 06:25 PM

Man oh man...they are showing up very early in the mornings lately. This group ate up a bunch of corn and only four smaller ones stayed around in the trap to greet me this morning. I manage to spend a couple late nights out a week , as a rule...but it's probably not enough. Maybe I need to turn nocturnal as well !!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: More visitors last night - 07/07/19 06:47 PM

Those night pictures look like Hog Armageddon! Creepy.

Is there a trap door on that trap, or is it the heart shaped kind where they just push their way in through the panels? I haven't seen the half-in, half-out feeder placement before. Can you explain that trap?
'Trying to learn as much as I can. I've got a pig problem...but I think yours is worse.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: More visitors last night - 07/07/19 07:10 PM

I can’t speak for the OP, but the feeder placement is what I do on my big trap. With the feeder can outside the trap, it’s easy to fill. It throws corn in and out of the trap, which is temptation for the pigs. The right kind of trigger is needed, so I’d like to hear what the OP uses.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: More visitors last night - 07/07/19 07:14 PM

I have a sorta strange arrangement on the door I guess, but it works pretty good sometimes...when the coons don't knock it closed. I have been using a very thin wire lately attached to the post holding the door open. They bump it...they are caught. I put that feeder there to just kind of feed on both sides of the trap as I feed deer there too.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: More visitors last night - 07/09/19 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Old Stony
I have a sorta strange arrangement on the door I guess, but it works pretty good sometimes...when the coons don't knock it closed. I have been using a very thin wire lately attached to the post holding the door open. They bump it...they are caught. I put that feeder there to just kind of feed on both sides of the trap as I feed deer there too.
[Linked Image]

Very sandy soil on that property (perhaps that entire area)?

Where I am....it is mostly red clay/iron ore...so I can place a trip wire across a bait hole. The little ones won't set it off that way. Takes a larger hog to 'claim' the hole and root it enough to trip the door(s). Too many times the little ones run in there ahead of the bigger hogs and set off the trigger if it is easily moved.

Your set up...seems to work well enough. You catch a lot of hogs. Good job.

Attached picture bait_hole.jpg
Attached picture Trip_Wire.jpg
Attached picture Corn_Arrow_2.jpg
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum