Texas Hunting Forum

Hog lights?

Posted By: GusWayne

Hog lights? - 06/23/19 05:21 PM

Anyone use the motion sensored lights that mount to a feeder?

1. Which brand?
2. Is one light enough or get 2?
3. I’ve got good set up I think from about 50-60 yards, are they bright enough for that range?

I’d prefer a box box store carry it, Cabelas, Academy, Bass Pro
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Hog lights? - 06/23/19 05:35 PM

Harbor Freight has some solar lights that I have been using for a long time now. I mount one by each feeder on a post/tree or whatever is handy. They take just a couple minutes to put up, are solar powered and have motion detectors on them to get brighter when movement is detected. They run about 20 bucks each and I have some up that have lasted for years. Great for hog shooting at night....

Re: Hog lights? - 06/23/19 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Old Stony
Harbor Freight has some solar lights that I have been using for a long time now. I mount one by each feeder on a post/tree or whatever is handy. They take just a couple minutes to put up, are solar powered and have motion detectors on them to get brighter when movement is detected. They run about 20 bucks each and I have some up that have lasted for years. Great for hog shooting at night....

Good idea, thanks.

I am assuming that’s white light right?

The white light don’t tip them off or send them away?
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Hog lights? - 06/23/19 09:38 PM

They are white lights, and I never see any real reaction from hogs or deer.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Hog lights? - 06/23/19 09:39 PM

I've also used the Harbor Freight lights with success. I get the 60 LED version as it turns off completely when nothing is there, whereas the smaller ones are always on dimly, then brighten when something comes by. I like the ON/OFF function so I don't have to wonder "Is is brighter now?"

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lumen-led-solar-security-light-64737.html

HF often has these cheaper with a coupon in my local paper or online. The white light doesn't seem to bother the hogs, they quickly get used to it.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Hog lights? - 06/23/19 09:52 PM

It is the sudden shadow popping up that scares them I think. I have two stuck to my cave fridge. Kill lights I think. They come on dim and ramp up. One white, one green. They are available.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Hog lights? - 06/23/19 10:25 PM

I have used the motion sensor solar ones from Northern Tool. I drive fence post in ground slide conduit over with lights mounted on conduit. Usually 2 lights to a feeder. Don't have lights pointed towards you. The LED ones are good.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Hog lights? - 06/24/19 12:14 AM

Yeah, the animals get used to them coming on. It happens pretty quick and shadows won't be an issue.

Re: Hog lights? - 06/24/19 01:11 AM

Ok sounds good guys

I will look at Harbor Freight

Thanks
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Hog lights? - 06/24/19 02:22 AM

There are a bunch of solar powered motion lights of all persuasions on Amazon. I was just looking at these today. With Prime I can get them faster than I can plan to get to the store to buy them.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Hog lights? - 06/24/19 02:48 AM

Make your own, it's not hard at all and 1000 times better than anything you can buy
Posted By: donswin

Re: Hog lights? - 07/21/19 03:54 AM

I use Mr. Beam from Amazon. I have had good durability and battery life with them. I glued some green plastic film over the light so it doesn't interfere too much when I look through my scope.

I do like the ones pernear posted. They weren't around when I made mine. Hmmm. Can my Amazon card take any more hits before it melts or my wife takes it away?
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Hog lights? - 07/21/19 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by pertnear
There are a bunch of solar powered motion lights of all persuasions on Amazon. I was just looking at these today. With Prime I can get them faster than I can plan to get to the store to buy them.
[Linked Image]

I bought these had them out for a couple months now. So far so good.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum