Texas Hunting Forum

Precision Shooting Hogs in High Vegetation

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Precision Shooting Hogs in High Vegetation - 06/19/19 04:06 PM

I shot 5 and located all 5, which is pretty tough in this field. To give you an idea about how bad it can be to find hogs here, I walked out to about where I thought the first hog went down and set up my shooting sticks as a visual reference and started a radiating spiral search pattern from the sticks. Half way around the first circuit was the sow, just 2 yards from my sticks. I had not seen her walking out. In disbelief, I went back over to my sticks and looked back at the sow. I could not see her with thermal or using my head lamp. Ridiculously thick stuff.

Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Precision Shooting Hogs in High Vegetation - 06/19/19 07:34 PM

Another good video!
Keep 'em coming. I can't get out as often as I'd like so I'm hunting vicariously via your videos.
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Precision Shooting Hogs in High Vegetation - 06/19/19 09:21 PM

up
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Precision Shooting Hogs in High Vegetation - 06/20/19 10:15 AM

DNS, that is some good shooting
Posted By: earl39

Re: Precision Shooting Hogs in High Vegetation - 06/20/19 11:13 AM

Very nicely done DNS
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Precision Shooting Hogs in High Vegetation - 06/20/19 12:55 PM

Nice! As for finding the pigs, when I’ve had similar situations, I have used my compass to shoot an azimuth to where the pig was, and then use the RF to find the distance.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Precision Shooting Hogs in High Vegetation - 06/20/19 02:06 PM

The oats.... They make recovery efforts near impossible.

The hogs go down and the oats fold over them like a blanket.

I have some footage from a hunt last month in a knee to waist high sorghum field, it was daylight at the time of the shots. The video is a good visual illustration between daytime visibility and thermals capabilities of seeing the heat signature and giving you a target opportunity.

I'll see if I can splice that footage together...

Nice hunt and kudos for the HOURS of work post shooting to locate and leave the rancher with a map to the bodies.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Precision Shooting Hogs in High Vegetation - 06/20/19 06:47 PM

Yeah, that would be good footage to share. It seems counter intuitive that the animals would just disappear when they drop in place. After all, they aren't that far away. You should be able to just walk right out to them and yet it doesn't work like that, particularly with thick brush and uneven terrain that keeps you from being able to take a direct course.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Precision Shooting Hogs in High Vegetation - 06/21/19 02:14 AM

Hunting fields is a challenge !
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Precision Shooting Hogs in High Vegetation - 06/21/19 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Yeah, that would be good footage to share. It seems counter intuitive that the animals would just disappear when they drop in place. After all, they aren't that far away. You should be able to just walk right out to them and yet it doesn't work like that, particularly with thick brush and uneven terrain that keeps you from being able to take a direct course.

Good shooting.

You might have to start taking a trained Beagle with you to find the hogs in that tall stuff. smile
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum