Texas Hunting Forum

Hog Traps

Posted By: DLALLDER

Hog Traps - 05/13/19 01:36 PM

I have heard that some diesel sprinkled over the corn placed in a hog trap will prevent the birds, squirrels, and coons plus whatever else from eating the corn. True or false??
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Hog Traps - 05/14/19 04:02 AM

popcorn
flag
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Hog Traps - 05/14/19 09:10 PM

So it looks like no one has ever heard of or done the diesel & corn bit.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Hog Traps - 05/14/19 09:23 PM

The only time we found to be effective was summer time, seems the pigs ate it then. Not real good luck using the diesel.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Hog Traps - 05/14/19 09:44 PM

It will generally keep the deer away, the raccoons will eat it after a little time pondering. Hogs will eat it but probably not the best choice. Just using Cherry Kool Aid will usually deter the deer also but to the coons it's like crack. Can't keep them away after a while. It attracts the hogs.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Hog Traps - 05/14/19 10:22 PM

I use it after I have caught hogs in a trap to cover the blood and scent. I put it in a pump-up sprayer to mist the where I have walked, the trap and the bloody spots with it. I used it in La Salle county and the only thing that would not eat the corn coated diesel were the deer. I had rabbits living the trap and eating corn. It works better as an attractant for hogs than keeping other animals of the corn IME.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Hog Traps - 05/14/19 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
It will generally keep the deer away, the raccoons will eat it after a little time pondering. Hogs will eat it but probably not the best choice. Just using Cherry Kool Aid will usually deter the deer also but to the coons it's like crack. Can't keep them away after a while. It attracts the hogs.

Hmmm...kool aid in a coon trap... nidea
Posted By: bigdavehunting

Re: Hog Traps - 05/21/19 04:04 AM

I have used diesel and it doesn't take much. I just want to keep deer out of trap esp if the trap has a top on it. The other thing that works well at the door is WD-40 deer don't pass the gate when I put either of them on the door threshold. I use some scent killer around the trap and I seem to have better luck. Good luck hunting.
Posted By: Believer

Re: Hog Traps - 05/29/19 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by DLALLDER
I have heard that some diesel sprinkled over the corn placed in a hog trap will prevent the birds, squirrels, and coons plus whatever else from eating the corn. True or false??

Yah.... it don't work.... best bet is to build pig pipes that'll preserve your corn the best
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum