Texas Hunting Forum

All about where you shoot em"

Posted By: Old Stony

All about where you shoot em" - 05/11/19 05:13 PM

Dropped this guy late last night and if he wasn't 300 lbs, he was at least in the very high 200 lb. range. One shot in the upper neck with a 6.5 Grendel using a 123 SST bullet..from about 100 yds away. Sounded like slapping your wife on her bare butt when the bullet hit, and he never even twitched after he dropped. I like to hit them from the middle of the shoulder to the top of the neck for instant stops and no tracking. The little SST's don't exit most of the time, but sure do some internal damage.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: All about where you shoot em" - 05/11/19 05:27 PM

Yep shot placement is key on those big hogs no matter what caliber your shooting. If you want to recover those big hogs neck and head is the way to go.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: All about where you shoot em" - 05/11/19 06:41 PM

Nice!!! Shot placement is 100% key!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: All about where you shoot em" - 05/11/19 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
Nice!!! Shot placement is 100% key!
Posted By: Woj

Re: All about where you shoot em" - 05/12/19 01:38 PM

I've posted this before, but points out placement is way more important than caliber. 2005, my daughter was 9, #300 boar, .223, @ 90 yards. Shot is at 1:30 mark, interview at 1:50, her explanation of shot placement at 3:20. Excuse the video quality, it was 2005...cut me some slack!
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: All about where you shoot em" - 05/12/19 01:39 PM

up
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: All about where you shoot em" - 05/12/19 03:36 PM

Loved the video...... up
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: All about where you shoot em" - 05/12/19 05:29 PM

Great video....and what a happy young lady !
Posted By: Wilson Combat

Re: All about where you shoot em" - 05/12/19 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by SapperTitan
Yep shot placement is key on those big hogs no matter what caliber your shooting. If you want to recover those big hogs neck and head is the way to go.

ABSOLUTELY correct SapperTitan, a spine or brain shot is the only two shots that will reliably drop them on the spot. I'm a big fan of what I call my plan A and B shot. Shoot the hog quartering to you in the enter of the neck, if plan A works you sever the spine and the hog drops, if somehow you miss the spine you hit the lungs and the hogs runs, but normally not too far. Either way that shot placement always ends up with a dead hog.

Broadside directly on the shoulder will kill hogs 100% of the time, but you have to go look for them 90% of the time.

Whatever you do, DON'T shoot them behind the shoulder like a deer, there are no vitals there and you will probably not recover the hog.
Posted By: mikereiling5

Re: All about where you shoot em" - 05/15/19 07:01 PM

relatively new to hunting, but shot one yesterday in a group and pretty sure I gut shot it. Would it die eventually in the woods?
Posted By: earl39

Re: All about where you shoot em" - 05/16/19 08:11 PM

Odds are that it will but hogs are tough and depending on damage done could survive and heal up
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: All about where you shoot em" - 05/22/19 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Old Stony

X2....making memories that will last two life times.

Re: All about where you shoot em" - 05/22/19 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Originally Posted by Old Stony

X2....making memories that will last two life times.

Thanks, and yes. Great memories, and instilled the life long passion for the outdoors to create even more memories.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: All about where you shoot em" - 05/22/19 07:13 PM

Old Stony - well done! up

I usually send these images to my (newer hunting) buddies each season as a reminder...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: All about where you shoot em" - 05/22/19 10:24 PM

People should really avoid that last pic. It has way too many anatomical issues to be considered reliable for anything.
Posted By: mow

Re: All about where you shoot em" - 05/28/19 01:20 PM

thats an awesome video..absolutely love here reaction....does she still hunt..i would guess she is in her mid 20's?

Re: All about where you shoot em" - 05/28/19 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by mow
thats an awesome video..absolutely love here reaction....does she still hunt..i would guess she is in her mid 20's?

yes Sir... Fish and hunts every chance she gets.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum