Texas Hunting Forum

Helicopter cull affecting hunt?

Posted By: Nakraik

Helicopter cull affecting hunt? - 03/22/19 04:04 AM

Question for anyone who may know:

I had a scheduled a pig hunt for this weekend, and was advised today that their aerial cull team went out and hit all they could this morning. What are the odds of any pigs actually returning to the area by tomorrow night?
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Helicopter cull affecting hunt? - 03/22/19 01:54 PM

They day after they fly for sure. A week or so, not so much. We just flew a place outside of Vernon, TX and the week prior it was flown as well. They killed 90 pigs in 4 hours of flying, we come in a week later and fly for 8 hours and kill 200.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Helicopter cull affecting hunt? - 03/22/19 03:09 PM

Cost of a hunt like that for two with chance for over 100 kills?
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Helicopter cull affecting hunt? - 03/22/19 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Cost of a hunt like that for two with chance for over 100 kills?

The 4 seater helicopter runs about $750 and hour, the tough part is finding acreage to fly. I'm not sure the outfitters that sell these types of hunts can hit those types of qty of kills, most I've talked too cant.
Posted By: BOLT GUY

Re: Helicopter cull affecting hunt? - 03/22/19 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Black02z28
They day after they fly for sure. A week or so, not so much. We just flew a place outside of Vernon, TX and the week prior it was flown as well. They killed 90 pigs in 4 hours of flying, we come in a week later and fly for 8 hours and kill 200.

Thats roughly a pig per 75 acres, at 290 pigs on 22k ac.
Kinda crazy to think about like that, knowing more are still out there.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Helicopter cull affecting hunt? - 03/22/19 05:03 PM

I’d get my money back
Posted By: Erny

Re: Helicopter cull affecting hunt? - 03/22/19 05:35 PM

If I was paying for the hunt I would not go.
Posted By: Nakraik

Re: Helicopter cull affecting hunt? - 03/22/19 07:15 PM

Let me clarify, I'm not doing a helicopter hunt, I'm doing a ground hunt.

It's a WMA, and massive property. One little section of it is over 900 sq acres, and there are about three more sections that size on just the upper half. I've got free reign on the whole thing for this hunt.

My concern being that with a professional crew raining hell on any and all pigs they could see yesterday morning, going out tonight through tomorrow night is going to be a waste of my time.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Helicopter cull affecting hunt? - 03/22/19 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Nakraik

I think we all understand. I'd ask for a reschedule to another date or another location.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Helicopter cull affecting hunt? - 03/24/19 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Nakraik

It's a WMA, and massive property. One little section of it is over 900 sq acres, and there are about three more sections that size on just the upper half. I've got free reign on the whole thing for this hunt.

My concern being that with a professional crew raining hell on any and all pigs they could see yesterday morning, going out tonight through tomorrow night is going to be a waste of my time.

I’m not sure there’s any such thing as “square acres”. It’s just acres.

As several others have mentioned, I’d reschedule or get my money back.
Posted By: javman

Re: Helicopter cull affecting hunt? - 03/27/19 05:56 PM

Chances a probably slim if they just went and culled them. I remember when we went to Laguna Atascosa and they had just gone the weeI prior to our hunt and between the hunters that were there and ourselves we only saw a handful but to far to take a shot at.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Helicopter cull affecting hunt? - 03/27/19 07:47 PM

Well, while I am sure they did not get all the hogs, they certainly spooked ones they didn't kill. They may not be doing their normal routines for a while and as such, what you could expect to encounter would be a lot less likely.

I would not hunt it for a while. They have reduced your chances for a good and successful hunt.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum