Texas Hunting Forum

Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder

Posted By: JimBridger

Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder - 02/18/19 08:14 PM

Do y’all remove hogs killed at your feeder as soon as they stop kickin or do you leave them lay a while?
I’ve been dragging them off as soon as they stop kickin if I want to still hunt at the same feeder.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder - 02/18/19 08:18 PM

We scoop them up as soon as the kicking is over with the tractor up peep
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tannerlst

Re: Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder - 02/18/19 08:33 PM

We have left them laying and shot another the same night with the other pig still laying there
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder - 02/18/19 09:00 PM

My last video shows one sleeping while the others are coming to party around him. Hunt or two before that, a dead one scared the arriving party train off. I think it just depends, but by and large, I find they don't pay much attention to the dead. I'll clean off the hill from the night before when I leave in the AM.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder - 02/18/19 09:13 PM

Well, you can risk scaring off incoming pigs by getting the area around the feeder polluted with your scent, not the mention the commotion you create by going to remove the hog, or you can worry that the dead hog will scare off others. There is no one right answer. Multiple times I have had dead hogs not be an issue. A couple of times, they have been an issue. Consult your OUJI Board before hunting.
Posted By: Pootie

Re: Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder - 02/18/19 09:21 PM

What Double Naught Spy said. Sometimes chicken, sometimes feathers!

Re: Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder - 02/18/19 09:29 PM

That’s kind of what I figured. I’ve been shooting hogs at the feeder, sometimes within 30 minutes after dragging a dead one off 100 feet or so. But always wondered if I’d do better leaving them.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder - 02/19/19 12:19 AM

We have a bone pile where we dump deer carcasses and large boars. I killed one that almost 300 pounds and the only thing left was the skull the following week. Pigs and yotes keep it pretty well cleaned out.
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder - 02/19/19 12:23 AM

A buddy once shot five hogs in a row leaving them under a feeder.

First hog bang, 5 minutes later hogs come back bang, 5 minutes later hogs come back bang, 10 minutes later hogs come back bang, 10 minutes later hogs come back bang, hogs did not come back after that.

He said that fifth hog was like a human walking into a restaurant with four dead bodies laying on the floor and ordering a cheeseburger lol.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Re: Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder - 02/19/19 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by bjankowski
We have a bone pile where we dump deer carcasses and large boars. I killed one that almost 300 pounds and the only thing left was the skull the following week. Pigs and yotes keep it pretty well cleaned out.

The coyotes dragged off two large boars on me this week. The one I weighted was a hair over 200 pounds. Not a trace of either were left behind.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder - 02/20/19 08:51 PM

Gut shootem and they will run off unless you want to eat them.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder - 02/20/19 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by snake oil
Gut shootem and they will run off unless you want to eat them.

I would say that deliberately wounding an animal so that it will run off and die somewhere else is inhumane.

Re: Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder - 02/20/19 11:22 PM

Yeah I agree, I’m not into that.
Posted By: mphunter

Re: Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder - 02/21/19 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by LeonCarr
He said that fifth hog was like a human walking into a restaurant with four dead bodies laying on the floor and ordering a cheeseburger lol.

roflmao
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder - 02/23/19 12:52 PM

I drag them off when I'm done for the night.

I'm sure that some pigs are more paranoid than others and won't come near a place if ANYTHING has changed. - moreso if you tromp around the feeder dragging off another pig.
That being said, I've shot pigs smelling of a pig I shot 15 minutes before that was looking at a pig I shot 45 minutes before that...
Posted By: Land_Man

Re: Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder - 02/23/19 07:55 PM

I have had good luck just leaving them there. There has been several times where I dropped one pig just to have others come in within 30-45 minutes. My thinking is that if they smell one pig in the area it might make them feel more comfortable to come pay the feeder a visit smile
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder - 02/26/19 01:34 PM

Depends on the scenario, I've shot one hog and dropped another right next to it 45 minutes later. I've found that deer really don't like seeing a dead pig below a feeder they're going to.
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder - 02/26/19 01:42 PM

For hogs i havnt had a problem with dead ones near. I have had one time I dropped one and another came in less than 30 minutes, but my feeders are for deer. That is why if I drop it under my feeder I will move it. If I shoot it away from the feeder I will just leave it there.

Re: Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder - 02/27/19 02:00 PM

I appreciate hearing y’alls experience.
Posted By: JDP Ranch

Re: Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder - 02/27/19 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Land_Man
I have had good luck just leaving them there. There has been several times where I dropped one pig just to have others come in within 30-45 minutes. My thinking is that if they smell one pig in the area it might make them feel more comfortable to come pay the feeder a visit smile

I've experienced the same. Was working remote on my laptop from the deer blind (lame I know) - looked up and saw a group of hogs. Shot the largest hog and thought I missed. Started working again and looked back up again to see more hogs. Popped another one that ran off into thick brush (didn't attempt to recover). Next day, my buddy shot a doe at the same feeder. When we went to recover... the first hog was dead close by.

IMO - if you want to continue hunting that feeder - you're better off leaving the hog there so your scent doesn't scare others away. I bet they are more likely to be spooked by human scent rather than a dead hog. Just my two cents.

Re: Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder - 02/27/19 04:22 PM

Appreciate the input JP. I was mainly concerned about the ones that are dropped right at the base of the feeder bleeding on the corn.
Posted By: JDP Ranch

Re: Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder - 02/27/19 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Pappybear
Appreciate the input JP. I was mainly concerned about the ones that are dropped right at the base of the feeder bleeding on the corn.

My pleasure. Just a side note - the hog that was near the feeder was still within the radius the corn throws. Was just out of site from my blind (near the tree line). It wasn't under the feeder, but I imagine with it being so close and with the other hogs not seeming to care - it's not a huge issue if the hog is directly underneath. The second group of hogs had to walk right by it to get to the feeder.
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder - 02/27/19 10:16 PM

I have always left them lay until I'm done hunting. I've never shot one directly under the feeder just near the feeder. I leave them lay and keep hunting for deer or more hogs. I've not seen it make any difference to either. I guess they think they'er just sleeping.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder - 03/03/19 03:32 AM

Last weekend we shot one and let it lay under the feeder. 30 minutes later his buddies came back and started eating the dead pig. His tail was completely eaten when we shot the second pig. They didnt come back after that
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Removing Hogs Shot At Feeder - 03/03/19 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bigfoot
Last weekend we shot one and let it lay under the feeder. 30 minutes later his buddies came back and started eating the dead pig. His tail was completely eaten when we shot the second pig. They didnt come back after that

“Damn, wonder what happened to Bob?”
“Idk, is he asleep?”
“Let’s take a bite out of him and see.”
“Geez, Bob is delicious!!”

BANG!!

“Oh look, I wonder how Larry tastes?”
roflmao
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum