Texas Hunting Forum

Experienced Hunters - new to hog hunting

Posted By: Blaughn

Experienced Hunters - new to hog hunting - 02/16/19 04:12 PM

My grandson (16), his dad and I are planning a trip to North/Northeast Texas to hunt hogs. We are experienced rifle, shotgun and bow hunters (deer) in Minnesota. New to hogs - so many choices...

1. Is mid October a good time for hog hunting?
2. Night hunts more productive than day?
3. Use an outfitter or a ranch like Dos Plumes or Hunter's creek?
4. Daily rate hunting plus a dollar per pound offers - a good deal or not?

Thanks!
Bruce
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Experienced Hunters - new to hog hunting - 02/16/19 06:01 PM

1. Almost any time is a good time for hog hunting in Texas, though the summer months can be awfully rough on folks not used to the heat. October is fine. May still be too hot for you. smile
2. For free range hogs, night hunts are more productive than day hunts simply because the hogs are generally crepuscular/nocturnal in areas where there is hunting pressure. Unless your guide gets you on a new piece of property that hasn't been hunted in years (which isn't likely), your most productive hunting will be at night
3. No clue on NE Texas guides, but am sure someone will know.
4. Daily rate fine. $ per pound is a sucker's hunt, unless you are on a high fence ranch where they actually buy the hogs that you are hunting. If they are free range hogs where the guide has access to properties such as farms/ranches, you should not be paying a $ per pound fee. More than anything, you don't want to be paying $ per pound fees for hogs that you aren't actually harvesting for meat...if you are just

Re: Experienced Hunters - new to hog hunting - 02/16/19 08:07 PM

Thank you for your informative answer. I am really like the idea that I can hunt AND help reduce a pest for the land owner. I am certainly willing to pay a fee to hunt but $/pound seems to work against the idea of pest elimination- especially where there are so many choices without that fee.

I had an interesting discussion with Rattlesnake Hill Outfitters who are devoted to night hunts. Sounds promising.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Experienced Hunters - new to hog hunting - 02/16/19 09:50 PM

welcome texas
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Experienced Hunters - new to hog hunting - 02/17/19 01:23 AM

Definitely don't pay per pound and don't give any weight to the pest elimination thing, hog hunting is a business here. Hunters Creek seems to have a good reputation, but see they charge $1 a pound over 100. That could get expensive for 3 guys over a couple days. I know my rifle always tends to point to the larger of the group.

Are you shooting at feeders with hog lights on them? Bringing your own NV or Thermal optics or renting your optics? An outfitter with provided thermal rifles would be the ticket. Make sure you know before showing up, how your going to sight 'em up at night. Also read where HC also consider wounded hogs as a dead hog toward your paid limit, which I assume to be common. Match your caliber to your expected distance (blind to feeder), hogs are tough. Your shotgun hunter would do well to have a rifled barrel.

Good luck!
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Experienced Hunters - new to hog hunting - 02/17/19 02:23 PM

Check out S4 Hunting Outfitters on here. Definitely don't pay by the pound.
Hogs are smart, once pressured they will go nocturnal or leave the property, however we have had good success hunting daylight other than first and last light. Mid morning, when it's not hot, brings out pressured hogs where we hunt.
Ask about calling them also.

Welcome as well. Hope you enjoy Texas!
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Experienced Hunters - new to hog hunting - 02/18/19 04:21 AM

Good luck on your hunt and welcome to Texas, God's country. The only advice I can offer is if you don't have a night light it's so beneficial. I've had my Magic Light for three years and all I can say if the pig is near by, I can see it and kill it. I like the green it doesn't bother pigs and the cross hairs shows up great, I also pistol hunt with a red dot, the green works great with it. The video I've attached says it's good to 175 yards, where I hunt I'm surrounded by so many trees so 100 yards is about my max shot. No problems reaching out to 100 yards.
There are others besides the Magic, I like it because I can pan out with it. Also when I hit the on button it stays on until I hit it again to turn it off. I used one of my friends before I bought mine and I had to keep the on button pressed. Don't know what brand it was, I had it attached to my 44mag, and it was a little cumbersome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlLRYWVIoZ4

Re: Experienced Hunters - new to hog hunting - 02/18/19 09:58 PM

We have hooked up with a night hunt outfitter who provides rifles chambered 308 and Pulsar Thermal sights. Now, if y'all will just leave a few hogs alive for when we arrive in October. cheers
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Experienced Hunters - new to hog hunting - 02/19/19 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Blaughn
We have hooked up with a night hunt outfitter who provides rifles chambered 308 and Pulsar Thermal sights. Now, if y'all will just leave a few hogs alive for when we arrive in October. cheers

Good deal, sounds like you have all the bases covered. October should be perfect weather too. Have fun bro.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Experienced Hunters - new to hog hunting - 02/20/19 04:16 PM

welcome ta texasHF .... What part of Minnesota ya from ? SW here, lived in texas 30+ years... Miss me hog hunts... cooler weather tis best time for hunting hogs, easier on d person, can get hot & humid thar, mosketoes,,knats, tics, flea's, chiggers, & other critters ta deal with in warm weather.... give up date on the hunt ... Best wishes & a Safe & enjoyable hunt...
flag
Posted By: Hogz

Re: Experienced Hunters - new to hog hunting - 02/25/19 09:21 PM

I can attest to Hunters Creek Ranch having a good reputation...been there many times. (Just got back from our 7th year in a row, and booked for next year already)
Bob and Doreen run a great ranch. Lots of hogs! Great food. Lots of fun

Hunters Creek Ranch is in Northeast Texas (Mount Vernon’s). We have been productive spotting/stalking in the mornings and sitting in box blinds in the evenings. Most action comes right at dark and after dark.. We started off with cheap green lights off eBay and now some of us have upgraded to Sightmark photons.
Hunters Creek Ranch is also now renting thermal 300 blackouts.. pretty good deal.

Check them out on their website and if you want more info, PM me.

www.hunterscreekranchtx.com
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum