Texas Hunting Forum

Hogs?

Posted By: nuprofessor

Hogs? - 02/16/19 06:47 AM

I will be down in Texas (Bonham to be exact) next weekend for a thermal hog hunt. Are you seeing hogs moving much around there during the day or is most of the activity at night? Either time is OK with me, but only have two days at most (driving down on Friday and on way back home midday Sunday) to add some meat to the freezer before it is back to that nasty four letter word WORK on Monday. Should be in Bonham about noon Friday (8 hour drive). As far as I know it will just be me hunting with the guide as backup. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Hogs? - 02/16/19 09:44 PM

I'm seeing the hogs 30 minutes before sunset or right at it. Thermal/night vision definitely the way to go.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Hogs? - 02/16/19 11:13 PM

Hogs pressured by hunting will tend to be nocturnal. Chances are where you will be hunting will have pressured hogs.

Re: Hogs? - 02/19/19 11:38 AM

Just took a peek at the weather forecast down there. Looks like I am in for a very wet hunt for Friday (if I even get out). Glad I have more than one day.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Hogs? - 02/19/19 02:05 PM

With the moon as bright as it is, they should be moving a bunch at night. Good luck on the hunt
Posted By: JDP Ranch

Re: Hogs? - 02/19/19 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Hogs pressured by hunting will tend to be nocturnal. Chances are where you will be hunting will have pressured hogs.

This is a good advice. My place hadn't ever been hunted (according to family that owned it) - they had it in their family since the 1888. First couple of trips out there I was seeing hogs consistently in the early daylight hours. They must have caught on quickly... after a couple successful hunts... the daylight hog sightings went down significantly. Now about 1 in every 7 or so hunts during daylight I'll see one.

They are still there, but now only seem to show up at sunset and during the night.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Hogs? - 02/20/19 06:02 PM

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Sounds like you're hunting with a Thermal ourfitter from on here?
Give us some feedback after the hunt, they will want some too before you leave.

I have family north of Bonham, it's pretty country. Wonder of you'll be near Ivanhoe or Telephone? Neat little country antique store at Elwood, used to be the general store.

Re: Hogs? - 02/23/19 06:35 AM

Well first night unproductive. Fog messed with the thermals real bad. Plus the mud was terrible. Got on one group but a ditch full of deep water kept us from having a stealthy approach. Really should have gotten closer but the two factor above made that not possible. Still have tomorrow with better temperatures and overall weather. Only issue could be the wind forecast. Guide has a regular day job also, so won’t be going out til almost dark. Guess I will see what the ‘big city’ of Bonham has to offer until he can go. Brought my deer rifle (30-30) in case he was able to get out during daylight- will see if that pans out. Really hope my luck gets better. Nothing worse than going home to the spouse with empty coolers after traveling so far and spending money for motel, license, food,& fuel. Spouse is pretty understanding and supportive but don’t want to push my luck with coming home empty handed too many times. Will update tomorrow. Have off til Tuesday but tomorrow will have to be the last day for this attempt unfortunately.
Posted By: Smith#34

Re: Hogs? - 02/23/19 08:30 PM

I’m sure the rain and fog didn’t help you at all last night, let alone limited access due to muddy grounds. Good luck tonight. You’ll have to be sure to work the wind, but the warmer temps should get them on their feet.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Hogs? - 02/24/19 03:35 PM

Good luck with the weather.
Your hunting right around Bonham then I take it?
Take a drive up to the Red, visit the Elwood general store, north of Telephone. If the owner is in ask her about hogs, she's my cousin.

Re: Hogs? - 02/25/19 10:18 AM

Let’s just say things did not get much better the second night. Multiple issues which I will not get in to. Came home with only one small 80# sow. Not what I would call a very productive weekend of hunting. Seriously considering other areas / services for next hunt. Couldn’t be too much less productive.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Hogs? - 02/25/19 06:28 PM

I saw 2 difference bunches yesterday in pastures at 2 to 3 in the afternoon.

Re: Hogs? - 02/25/19 07:10 PM

Wish I could have hunted during the day. May have seen something. All I did was sit and wait for the night hunt to begin. We got into several sounders, but various problems proved unproductive.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum