Texas Hunting Forum

Can corn be to bad for pigs?

Posted By: Moe #2

Can corn be to bad for pigs? - 02/05/19 04:09 AM

I have some corn that has been setting for 2 yrs. Bugs and some green. How old and nasty does corn have to be before hogs leave it alone? Is it bad for them to eat molded corn?
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Can corn be to bad for pigs? - 02/05/19 04:29 AM

Are you worried about making them sick?
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Can corn be to bad for pigs? - 02/05/19 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Moe #2
I have some corn that has been setting for 2 yrs. Bugs and some green. How old and nasty does corn have to be before hogs leave it alone? Is it bad for them to eat molded corn?

Depends on how hungry they are. Some will eat up every bit of bad corn, in other areas they won't touch it.

No.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Can corn be to bad for pigs? - 02/05/19 11:17 AM

It's only bad for them if they get shot in the ear hole while eating it. laugh
Posted By: coolbrze

Re: Can corn be to bad for pigs? - 02/05/19 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
It's only bad for them if they get shot in the ear hole while eating it. laugh

Haha!
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Can corn be to bad for pigs? - 02/07/19 01:23 AM

Put it out.

Crazy thing about wild animals. They have these instincts. Usually they work in their favor. They'll eat it they want and if they think it's safe. Otherwise, no. If a pig won't eat it I don't know what will in which case let it rot back into the earth where it came from.

Re: Can corn be to bad for pigs? - 02/07/19 02:58 AM

I wouldn't want to make them sick. They only come around at times and I like to hunt them when there around. Either a friend or I eat what we kill and wouldn't want to taint the meat.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Can corn be to bad for pigs? - 02/12/19 04:07 AM

Hogs ate this week old Donkey carcass that buzzards and coyotes wouldn't even touch. It was rotting...covered in flies and maggots.

A little 'ripe' corn isn't going to hurt them.....believe me.

Attached picture HogScavange1.jpg
Attached picture HogScavange2.jpg
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Can corn be to bad for pigs? - 02/12/19 06:21 PM

Corn can cause lead poisoning in hogs. wink
Posted By: Okie Newton

Re: Can corn be to bad for pigs? - 02/12/19 08:12 PM

A lot of guys pour diesel over their corn for pigs to eat. Give it to them won't hurt em a bit.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Can corn be to bad for pigs? - 02/12/19 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Okie Newton
A lot of guys pour diesel over their corn for pigs to eat. Give it to them won't hurt em a bit.

I have poured diesel on old corn and hogs ate it. didn't do it for the hogs as much as to keep the turkeys and deer from eating it

Re: Can corn be to bad for pigs? - 02/13/19 04:01 AM

Put some out they ate all. How can those animals ever be killed off? There's nothing they cant live off of. You suppose after a nuclear plant melt down the pigs around would thrive and get bigger?
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Can corn be to bad for pigs? - 02/13/19 04:17 PM

They'll eat anything literally anything, even each other. My friend gave me a 5 gallon bucket of corn that had been souring for a long time,it was kind of like you described. I dug a hole and poured it in and covered it over. They dug it up and ate every last piece.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Can corn be to bad for pigs? - 02/14/19 12:59 AM

Have you seen the hogs at Chernobyl....big old nasty boars are growing like gangbusters!
Posted By: mphunter

Re: Can corn be to bad for pigs? - 02/21/19 04:46 PM

They’ll eat it. I won’t make them sick. Not sure mich will. They eat everything!!
Posted By: chalet

Re: Can corn be to bad for pigs? - 02/21/19 05:24 PM

Had some domestic pigs penned once where there was a pile of those round ceramic insulators they used on old telephone poles. Pigs ate them, didn't seem to cause any problems.
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Can corn be to bad for pigs? - 02/27/19 04:31 PM

Since I was a little kid have been told that a hog will balance it's own ration if feed grain and protein in separate troughs, and will not over eat like a cow. We never lost a hog to what it ate, but cattle was another story.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum