Texas Hunting Forum

Skittish/Cautious Boar

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Skittish/Cautious Boar - 01/19/19 08:48 PM

After watching the video that Pig Popper posted (https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...pigs-are-tough-is-223-enough-umph#UNREAD), I headed out to go hunting.

I stopped by my place to sight in a rifle and while there, checked on my feeders and discovered hog sign, so I thought I would just start off the evening at my place before heading out. Turned out to be a prudent decision as the forecast storm front arrived a bit early and it started to rain hard just about the time we got the hog loaded up to go to the bone yard. Here 'we' refers to my neighbor and me. He came over and harvested the back straps.

Even though it has happened to me several times at my place, it still amazes me when I do some shooting on the range and then head over to my box stand to hunt and have a hog show up soon thereafter. The feeder is less than 200 yards from where I was sighting in a rifle and the hog showed up about 45 minutes after the last shot was fired.

The shot I made on this hog was very similar to the 2nd shot made by the guy in the video noted above. Both of our shots were under the right eye, but the salient difference, it would seem, is that my shot was higher up, causing dain bramage, and his shot failed to do any such damage. Making "head shots" does not do much good if you don't do CNS damage.

Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Skittish/Cautious Boar - 01/20/19 12:04 AM

Good practice of yours to immediately track and cover the animal with your scope reticle....in case a follow up shot is needed.
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Skittish/Cautious Boar - 01/20/19 02:15 PM

up No tracking required.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Skittish/Cautious Boar - 01/20/19 09:13 PM

You are also shooting a bullet with considerably more smack down energy than the guy in P-P's video, and it shows.

One and done! But with a good follow-up ready for delivery.

Nice! Keep After 'Em!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum