Texas Hunting Forum

Trapped Hog and next victim

Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Trapped Hog and next victim - 01/14/19 07:56 PM

Somehow this big bore broke the gate and trapped himself. I had the doors tied open. I need to do a better job of securing the door on this trap as I had to walk in a long way to dispatch him. Has been way to muddy to drive back to this trap.
[Linked Image]

And why do they always end up on the door so that I can't open it!!!

[Linked Image]

I think this was his friend as he showed up the next day following where I dragged the one I killed the day before.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Trapped Hog and next victim - 01/14/19 11:32 PM

[Linked Image]

You're lucky, I caught these Saturday morning and it was so muddy I couldn't even grab onto the pigs to drag em out. Had to pull em out with the tractor. Got a lot of meat tho!!
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Trapped Hog and next victim - 01/15/19 02:11 AM

Awesome,,,,,,,,,what type of gate you have on the round trap ???
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Trapped Hog and next victim - 01/15/19 02:59 AM

Figure 6 trap. One panel is just curved in and not attached so they can push the panel in and it snaps back behind them. Less than $100 to build. I did tie a wire to a stake inside to hold it open and make it easier for them. YouTube how to build in and bait it up. Easy and effective. Had 12 hogs in it and 4 more were outside when I went to check it. Secure it well, cause they will try to lift the panels up off the t-posts.
Posted By: JCO

Re: Trapped Hog and next victim - 01/15/19 03:51 AM

The only problem with this set up is what to do when the freezers are full. They catch and keep on catching.

Re: Trapped Hog and next victim - 01/16/19 09:18 PM

Always wanted to do the figure 6 trap. But I keep my freezer full with the box trap and don't seem to have a problem with catching one or two every couple of weeks. This trap is on a small 7 acre plot that is surrounded by Utility property that no one is allowed to hunt on. And it is right next to a small pond. I've seen as many as 19 there at one time.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Trapped Hog and next victim - 01/17/19 10:14 PM

effective
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Trapped Hog and next victim - 01/19/19 04:21 AM

clap
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Trapped Hog and next victim - 01/19/19 10:55 AM

They are starting to move a little now. Maybe the acorns are finally getting thinned out. This bunch of 11 was two days ago, and I had 4 more in another trap yesterday.
[Linked Image]

Re: Trapped Hog and next victim - 01/22/19 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Old Stony
They are starting to move a little now. Maybe the acorns are finally getting thinned out. This bunch of 11 was two days ago, and I had 4 more in another trap yesterday.
[Linked Image]

Those are the size I love to put on the grill...

Re: Trapped Hog and next victim - 01/22/19 12:29 AM

Almost got some this Friday

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RANGERRONG

Re: Trapped Hog and next victim - 01/22/19 12:36 AM

nice pictures
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Trapped Hog and next victim - 01/22/19 01:07 AM

Neat spotty youngsters !
Posted By: Perforce Outdoors

Re: Trapped Hog and next victim - 01/22/19 03:06 AM

Looks like you have some home made dispensing mechanism to dump corn in just the trap or am I just imagining? My experience is when you bait it by hand, the raccoons clean it up in a day or two.

Re: Trapped Hog and next victim - 01/22/19 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Perforce Outdoors
Looks like you have some home made dispensing mechanism to dump corn in just the trap or am I just imagining? My experience is when you bait it by hand, the raccoons clean it up in a day or two.

Correct, I have both gravity feed PVC pipes and a timed feeder that only throws corn in the trap. I had used a plastic pail but the darn squirrels eat holes in it. I went to a 6 gallon galvanized locking lid trash can I got from Home Depot for about $17. They will wear out there teeth before getting into that...

I also have a remote trigger that is operated by a phone call or text.(Cost me about $125 to build it myself) But for some reason it does not get a good signal at this prime location. I need to figure out how to boost the signal or get a better antenna.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum