Texas Hunting Forum

Best factory 223 pig round?

Posted By: 603Country

Best factory 223 pig round? - 01/01/19 07:15 PM

Neighbor was just over to sight in his AR. He had some 75 gr Hornady match rounds, which shot pretty well. He’s real new to the pig hunting business, so he wanted to know what factory round was best for pigs. Well...truth is that I have never shot a factory round in my 223, so I had no answer other than saying that I had heard that the Winchester 64 gr PP was good. I’m not going to get into reloading for him, so that’s no option. What round would you suggest?

Yes, I know that the match bullet would work, but it isn’t the best option by far, and I told him that.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Best factory 223 pig round? - 01/01/19 07:23 PM

I have tried just about everything and nothing compared to the Winchester 64gr. Hog Special. Others may have their favorites but that is what I would use over everything else I know of.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Best factory 223 pig round? - 01/02/19 01:46 AM

2cents shot placement would factor in more than round.... In my AR-15 used the cheap 55gr FMJ & cheap 55gr HP Tu Tru lol something like that... Found all hogs except 1, shots were close range heart-lung & if still head shot... tis small callaber round... on hunt with snow on ground hit hog that jumped up from bed, most shots were. it ran little over 100yrds followed it from side till it slowed down & stopped put second shot, it went down.... Was NO blood trail small cal most blood stays inside cavity reason limited ta close range & was bumping from beds... Agree certain ones preform better, each designed for different purpose. yet shot placement tis key....

flag
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Best factory 223 pig round? - 01/02/19 11:18 PM

Sierra Gameking 65 Grain
Barnes TSX 70 Grain

Both of these have worked well for me, but shot placement is still critical even with a good bullet.
Posted By: aka_SUBMOAS

Re: Best factory 223 pig round? - 01/03/19 09:35 AM

As many have said it’s shot placement. I’m very lucky/blessed that one of my .223’s shoots cheap Tula 55gr HP right at
1”-1 1/4” at 100 yards.

Here was a pig I took last month.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Best factory 223 pig round? - 01/03/19 02:44 PM

Certainly shot placement is important, but you can assume that the neighbor and I understand that. What I wanted was a best factory round/bullet for hogs, based on use and personal experience. I’m going to recommend the round that RattlesnakeDan suggested. Personally, I use the Nosler Partition if I have the 223 with me.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Best factory 223 pig round? - 01/03/19 03:30 PM

I would look toward

-federal 60 grain partition
-nosler 64 grain bsb (nosler loads it in their defense line, im sure someone else loads it)
-62 grain federal fusion
-62 grain barnes vortex

Those would be my top picks. I really wouldn't prefer one over the other and feel like the fusion would probably be the most cost effective.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Best factory 223 pig round? - 01/06/19 05:07 PM

confused2 Tula 55gr fmj & hp the only ammo i've used, never had a problem with it... just my 2cents like d ammo i use, i got cheap posts...
flag
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Best factory 223 pig round? - 01/06/19 07:01 PM

Morgan and KC have said a lot of good things and posted pics of hogs and pigs taken with 75gr A-Mx bullets from their ARs. They liked them for hogs. Never tried them myself but in the right place have no doubt they will kill a hog
Posted By: Outdoor Legacy

Re: Best factory 223 pig round? - 01/10/19 06:48 AM

I'm a huge fan of the Hornady Black 75gr BTHP. For the price, size of the bullet and accuracy, I can't say enough good about it. I mostly shoot .300blk but I still buy that .223 ammo a full case at a time for when I'm hunting with the .223.

I agree that shot placement is key, no question about it. But good ammo makes a difference too. There are lots of good .223 ammo options now days!

Jason
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum