Texas Hunting Forum

Weight of hog

Posted By: Pupjoint

Weight of hog - 12/25/18 03:20 AM

Hey, I've searched to no avail and can't find any info on determining weight of dead hog, can someone help me out?
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Weight of hog - 12/25/18 03:38 AM

Hang it on a scale. I have seen people use a fabric tape to measure girth to estimate weight but no way that is accurate.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Weight of hog - 12/25/18 03:57 AM

Just call it 300 lbs that’s what everyone else does
Posted By: fcr550

Re: Weight of hog - 12/25/18 03:58 AM

exactly... I think people have no idea how big a 300 pound hog really is. .
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Weight of hog - 12/25/18 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by dlrz71
Hang it on a scale. I have seen people use a fabric tape to measure girth to estimate weight but no way that is accurate.

Heart girth weight estimations are accurate within their parameters. Ranchers use such methods with livestock. Tried and true. Given the poor condition of scales that I see some people use, I think I would put more faith in heart girth sometimes, LOL.

http://www.thepigsite.com/articles/541/weighing-a-pig-without-a-scale/

Posted By: Pupjoint

Re: Weight of hog - 12/25/18 08:09 PM

Thanks guys, Merry Christmas
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Weight of hog - 12/26/18 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by SapperTitan

rofl up
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Weight of hog - 12/26/18 03:32 PM

I see that a lot

I shot a 340 last year and it filled a whole tractor bucket
Posted By: pkhunter624

Re: Weight of hog - 12/26/18 04:29 PM

I think a lot of people would be surprised if they weighed their 300# pig
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Weight of hog - 12/26/18 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by fcr550
exactly... I think people have no idea how big a 300 pound hog really is. .

: rofl lots of people get fooled by the pic's posted of hogs taken on this forum, Angle the pic taken... posted pic of hog taken, same angle, AR-15 at feet of hog then AR-15 by its back.... Hog looked bigger with AR-15 by its back & hog closer ta cam... never took the time ta do the tape thing Back pack, no gutting tis easiest way for when ya way back in thar & ya huntsolo ...
flag
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Weight of hog - 12/26/18 06:34 PM

My Lease buddies used to shoot a bunch of 300 pounders until we bought a scale. The best we’ve done since purchasing the scale is 274 and that hog was huge.
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Weight of hog - 12/26/18 07:19 PM

For large hogs I would use my hunting buddy Ed. "Hey Ed grab a beer come over and look at this hog. Tell me whatcha think". Ed was about 245 pounds on the hoof. I would just do a size by size comparison with a big grin on my face. Gawd rest his sole best hog scale I ever had.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Weight of hog - 12/26/18 09:51 PM

A guide on TFF and THF told me measure girth behind from shoulder and then Girth X 10 - 200 = weight (will get you close).
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Weight of hog - 01/04/19 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by dlrz71

I made it point some years ago to tape and then physically weigh a couple of dozen hogs (Boars & Sows) and found the method to be pretty darn accurate.

I'm sure in some locales it would vary some. Habitat and the condition of the hogs would make a difference. But...lacking an actual scale...I would wager the tape method comes closer to estimating the true weight of the animal than does simple 'guessing'. Unless you have killed and weighed many hundreds of hogs...it is easy to misjudge their weight.

Also, I have found that hog hunters (not all) are bested only by fishermen in their willingness to 'embellish' the weight of their quarry. wink

Attached picture Pig-HG3.jpg
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum