Texas Hunting Forum

Question...Are feral hogs cannibalistic?

Posted By: Old Shakie

Question...Are feral hogs cannibalistic? - 12/16/18 02:49 AM

Just curious....Can anyone on here tell me will feral hogs eat dead hogs? I know they are omnivores and was wondering if they would eat their own dead.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Question...Are feral hogs cannibalistic? - 12/16/18 03:29 AM

Yes.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Question...Are feral hogs cannibalistic? - 12/16/18 03:39 AM

Yes and if you do not get a dead pig out of the pens quick enough you will not have to in a domestic hog facility as well.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Question...Are feral hogs cannibalistic? - 12/16/18 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Yes.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Question...Are feral hogs cannibalistic? - 12/16/18 03:56 AM

Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Question...Are feral hogs cannibalistic? - 12/16/18 03:22 PM

How common is it though, my guess not very? I try to get a pass through and kill 2 in 1 shot with the first shot and I'm sure some run off wounded and die. Do you think the remaining sounder eats it, or just moves on?
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Question...Are feral hogs cannibalistic? - 12/16/18 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55
How common is it though, my guess not very? I try to get a pass through and kill 2 in 1 shot with the first shot and I'm sure some run off wounded and die. Do you think the remaining sounder eats it, or just moves on?

Its as common as it needs to be:

My uncle used to have pigs on property in a pen and he’d dump scraps of all varieties in the pen.

He’d warn us to make sure the small kids stayed away from the pen because the pigs would consider anything coming inside as a meal option.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Question...Are feral hogs cannibalistic? - 12/16/18 04:52 PM

Yes they will. I have watched them eat hogs, birds, coyotes, deer and a horse...so maybe nothing is off limits.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Question...Are feral hogs cannibalistic? - 12/16/18 04:56 PM

Saw two eating on a dead cow at our lease.
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Question...Are feral hogs cannibalistic? - 12/16/18 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pig_Popper

Its as common as it needs to be:

My uncle used to have pigs on property in a pen and he’d dump scraps of all varieties in the pen.

He’d warn us to make sure the small kids stayed away from the pen because the pigs would consider anything coming inside as a meal option.

My Dad used to say " you never feed meat to a (domestic) pig because it will become blood thirsty".
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Question...Are feral hogs cannibalistic? - 12/17/18 01:34 AM

Yep.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Question...Are feral hogs cannibalistic? - 12/17/18 02:34 AM

Just about any animal that is an omnivore or a carnivore may possibly be cannibalistic. Hogs are not anything special.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Question...Are feral hogs cannibalistic? - 12/17/18 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Just about any animal that is an omnivore or a carnivore may possibly be cannibalistic. Hogs are not anything special.

Great point. Starve me a few days and I'll chew your arm off.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Question...Are feral hogs cannibalistic? - 12/17/18 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

Great point. Starve me a few days and I'll chew your arm off.

Please select my non dominant arm.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Question...Are feral hogs cannibalistic? - 12/17/18 07:50 PM

Have shot hogs over chicken guts and chicken manure. Have seen hogs fed deer guts/hog guts and trimmings. I think a dead hog in the wild is much much more likely to be eaten by coyotes and vultures than by other hogs.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Question...Are feral hogs cannibalistic? - 12/19/18 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Have shot hogs over chicken guts and chicken manure. Have seen hogs fed deer guts/hog guts and trimmings. I think a dead hog in the wild is much much more likely to be eaten by coyotes and vultures than by other hogs.

I have no doubt that under certain conditions...hogs would consume the carcass of their same kind. I haven't ever witnessed that happening but they will readily eat carrion. In my case....Coyotes and Buzzards invariably find the carcasses first and devour them. Entire 'large' hogs (well over 200 lbs. completely gone in a couple of days).

I have seen evidence of hogs eating the carcass of a Dead Donkey that I hauled off. For some reason...nothing else would touch it. It sat unmolested for a few days. Then the hogs found it.

I do have a video from one of my cameras of a Sow Hog snatching up a piglet and running off with it. Grabbed it right by the middle and carried it off. I don't know what to make of that. A big group of hogs were all bunched together feeding on a small pile of corn and this Sow comes running in from out of the video frame, snatches up the piglet and runs off with it. I'm not suggesting she mean't to kill/eat it, but I've never seen that before. They normally just knock them out of the way.

Attached picture HogScavange1.jpg
Attached picture HogScavange2.jpg
Posted By: cliffie

Re: Question...Are feral hogs cannibalistic? - 12/20/18 06:12 AM

First time I ever went hunting in Utah (40 yrs ago) it was on a farm that had hogs in a pen. The owners first words to me were never get in the hog pen. He tossed the skeleton of one of our deer in there and it was gone in just a few minutes. Woke me up for sure.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Question...Are feral hogs cannibalistic? - 12/22/18 10:49 PM

sows will eat the baby pigs, usually if something is wrong or the piglet is dead
Posted By: Normanpig

Re: Question...Are feral hogs cannibalistic? - 01/02/19 03:42 AM

For sure on the meat. The hogs on our lease intermingle with the cows and constantly have faces covered in cow $hit.
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Question...Are feral hogs cannibalistic? - 01/04/19 04:43 PM

Great point. Starve me a few days and I'll chew your arm off.[/quote]
roflmao rofl
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum