Texas Hunting Forum

NV/Thermal monocular-goggles ?

Posted By: Revoman

NV/Thermal monocular-goggles ? - 12/14/18 02:11 PM

Looking at getting a set of goggles or a monocular in the very near future to go with ATN Gen3 scope I have. What units are you folks using? Must be at least Gen2 NV and kind of leaning towards goggles.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: NV/Thermal monocular-goggles ? - 12/14/18 04:53 PM

I have a couple of Pulsar Recon digitals and an early gen3 handheld monocular.

The Pulsars do a decent job until it gets really dark and you need to use IR illuminators.
The bloom of the IR illuminators reflecting off brush and stuff close up will wash out a lot behind them.
When using them from a tall stand, the bloom is much less and you can see quite well with them.

The gen3 can see much deeper into darkness without illumination but if you need to add illumination, they will suffer the same consequences as digital, just not as bad.

A bonus with illumination is you will usually see eyes reflecting thru the brush long before you see actual animals.

A trick we use to help with night blindness generated by looking thru NV is to scan with left eye and shoot with right.
That way, you can pick up as much light and contrast as you can when you switch to your shooting eye.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: NV/Thermal monocular-goggles ? - 12/14/18 09:55 PM

If you're going to invest in a monocular, spend the extra coin and get a thermal, you'll never miss spotting something at night again.

I've used a non-HD(FLIR core) ATN OTS Thermal monocular mounted on a helmet for several years now, works like a champ. Bought both of mine lightly used on ebay. I drive with mine on my Pioneer, takes a little practice and getting used.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum