Texas Hunting Forum

Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack

Posted By: Stripermania

Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 07/26/18 08:48 PM

Anyone here use the UNV IR Hunter USB Battery Pack $329. Concern I have is that the internal battery is not replaceable so if the battery fails, you are down $329. Unlike the Armasight pack, $325, where it uses 18650 batteries and they are couple bucks each. Like most of my power tools, battery pack only lasts a couple of years. Is there anything special about the UNV battery pack that would last longer than a few years. Thanks for you input.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 07/26/18 09:23 PM

The internal "battery" isn't a battery at all, just a dummy spacer that is the same size as a CR123 that goes in the battery tube on the scope. I don't think it will ever fail.

The external battery is nothing more than a battery used to charge cell phones. Last I checked, they were using these.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0194WDVHI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I purchased a spare. At any given time, I have one on the rifle and one on the charger. However, you can get any variety of external batteries, spending more or less depending on whether you want more less power and how you want to carry it.
Posted By: DavidK

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 07/26/18 09:59 PM

This is what I use from Third Coast Thermal. It is an adapter that can be used with either the IR Hunters, REAP-IR, IR Patrol, etc. You use just the adapter with the IR Hunter, add the factory Extender to use with the REAP-IR.

Takes two rechargeable batteries that last longer than CR123's. Comes with the adapter, 4 batteries and a charger. Cheaper alternative, small, doesn't take up additional space.

Posted By: Midwaytmm

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 07/26/18 11:47 PM

I dong think you have to worry about the spacer cell failing. More likely something in the system breaking . Wires, fitting ect . The newer stuff is a little more fool proof .

The trijicon factory battery extenders can be doubled up and used as well, with rechargeables .

This is a little more handy way to do it. No wires to snag, or get tore up

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 07/27/18 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Midwaytmm
I dong think you have to worry about the spacer cell failing. More likely something in the system breaking . Wires, fitting ect . The newer stuff is a little more fool proof .

The trijicon factory battery extenders can be doubled up and used as well, with rechargeables .

This is a little more handy way to do it. No wires to snag, or get tore up

Using the longer adapters and hitting them on stuff or bouncing around in my gun bag caused me to send back in the l scopes because the brass part came out of the scope. Haven't had a problem since going to the shorter adapter

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 07/27/18 05:09 AM

Thanks guys and more questions.
DNS - the Amazon battery pack is $29 so the dummy cell, end cap and cables for $300. Seems high

David - couldn't find the item on Third Coast Thermal Website. Is it just a longer battery extender to hold 4 cr123

Midwaytmm - so you use the factory extender to hold 3 cr123, what brand rechargeable are you using. Some I bought doestn't output enough juice to turn on the IRMK3-35

Thanks again
Posted By: hdfireman

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 07/27/18 05:33 AM

OK, You are adding weight with these external battery extenders. It's not just the weight , it's the cantilnvered weight of off of the original battery pack. That extra weight in concert with the recoil can and most likely will separate the battery compartment from the housing.

I have used the UNV battery pack for about 2 years and have had zero issue. In 17* temps it lasted 13 hrs which is the best on the market.

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 07/27/18 11:22 AM

16650 rechargeable. You’ll use 2 of them instead of the 123s. Should be less than 20$ for batteries and charger

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 07/27/18 05:15 PM

Midwaytmm - that's clever and I liked it. I will get the second extender and in the mean time, I will see if I can get my buddy to machine me a long one so it will be one piece instead of 2. I just don't like having a battery pack hanging off the gun. I have the Armasight battery pack and I love the extended run time but hated it when I am walking around stalking prey.

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 07/27/18 07:04 PM

Actually looked at having some made. Didn’t make any sense from a financial standpoint at the time. But I also didn’t realize people would pay 300$ for 16$ worth of batteries, and 20$ worth of machined aluminum......
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 07/27/18 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Stripermania
DNS - the Amazon battery pack is $29 so the dummy cell, end cap and cables for $300. Seems high

David - couldn't find the item on Third Coast Thermal Website. Is it just a longer battery extender to hold 4 cr123

Midwaytmm - so you use the factory extender to hold 3 cr123, what brand rechargeable are you using. Some I bought doestn't output enough juice to turn on the IRMK3-35

Thanks again

Seems high? You are paying for proprietary technology, plain and simple. You can go with a proven design or you can go with the cheap experiment on your own scope and see if it all works out or not. Let us know how it works and keep us posted!
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 07/27/18 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: hdfireman
OK, You are adding weight with these external battery extenders. It's not just the weight , it's the cantilnvered weight of off of the original battery pack. That extra weight in concert with the recoil can and most likely will separate the battery compartment from the housing.

I have used the UNV battery pack for about 2 years and have had zero issue. In 17* temps it lasted 13 hrs which is the best on the market.

Exactly right. You are adding moment load to an already weak component. That additional moment load coupled with brass fittings and recoil is not a good thing structurally. I'm betting the manufacturer will know exactly what caused it.

I have used the UNV product for over 2 years on 4 guns used regularly, maybe closer to 3 years with no issues. If you plumb the wires properly and attach the bag with the battery correctly, you won't hardly notice it being there.

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 07/28/18 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Stripermania

Thanks again

No, they take protected cell rechargeables

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 07/28/18 03:38 AM

That's not the issue after I discussed with customer service. On my IR Hunter Mark III looking at the paperwork they replaced it, but it was fine, They have a bunch of these coming in for repair.

My REAP-IR I sent in specifically because the battery compartment came loose. In the REAP-IR I used almost exclusively as a spotter. I never used an aftermarket adapter. The couple times I had on a gun I used CR123's. As a spotter I used the UNV external pack until it broke. The piece the screws in to the battery compartment was no longer working, I tried different cables, same thing. One of the guys I hunt with had the same problem when we were shooting a contest.

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 07/28/18 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill

Exactly right. You are adding moment load to an already weak component. That additional moment load coupled with brass fittings and recoil is not a good thing structurally. I'm betting the manufacturer will know exactly what caused it.

I have used the UNV product for over 2 years on 4 guns used regularly, maybe closer to 3 years with no issues. If you plumb the wires properly and attach the bag with the battery correctly, you won't hardly notice it being there.

That's not the issue. You can discuss with them, they are I believe replacing all battery compartments if scopes coming in for repair.

I ran only CR123's and the UNV external battery on my REAP-IR, so apparently the unv adapter caused my issue if we go by your logic. They have changes for ones that are replaced. My UNV kit is broke, the piece that adapts to the battery compartment no longer works, won't power up, new cable doesn't make a difference. One other guy I hunt with has a similar problem.

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 07/28/18 10:48 AM

Originally Posted By: DavidK
Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill

That's not the issue. You can discuss with them, they are I believe replacing all battery compartments if scopes coming in for repair.

I ran only CR123's and the UNV external battery on my REAP-IR, so apparently the unv adapter caused my issue if we go by your logic. They have changes for ones that are replaced. My UNV kit is broke, the piece that adapts to the battery compartment no longer works, won't power up, new cable doesn't make a difference. One other guy I hunt with has a similar problem.

Sorry to disagree but it was an issue. You also make no sense when you say according to his logic the UNV adaptor caused your issue. We are saying the added length and weight of battery extenders has caused the battery compartments to separate from the housing. The UNV adaptor is not adding any extra weight or length. Nor is it an extender.

You should call UNV on your adaptor not working and see what they will do for you.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 07/28/18 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By: DavidK

First, I know that Tyler has been replacing any that do not work for any reason, customer caused or not. You might call him.

The UNV does not add appreciable moment load beyond the original product. The devices that substantially increase the length and weight do. There is a difference. The battery box problem that you speak of is an altogether different issue.

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 07/28/18 05:36 PM

From talking to people, I'm not the first one that had them break. I'll get the other one from the guy and troubleshoot.

I'm in Texas right now, when I get home I'm going to do an analysis. Being an electrical engineer I'll grab some friends that are mechanical engineers. We'll weigh all parts, we'll calculate the forces as strength or energy as an attribute of action or movement, related both to weight and how energy from recoil of different calibers affect these numbers.

I can tell you, I've only shot in 6.8 as the largest, the recoil of a 308 is much greater and I know people shooting 308s all the time without a problem. I do know from my communication that the battery compartment on the Trijicons is a poor design, and that this is being remedied. One thing I can't calculate is lateral forces unless I have some design specs from Trijicon such as contact surface area, adhesion properties, space tolerances, and dimensions.

When talking about calibers, using Chuck Hawks guide, a 6.8 SPC with a 120gr bullet at 2460 GPS has a recoil energy of 7.5. A 308 with a 165gr bullet at 2700 GPS has a recoil energy of 18.1. I know guys shooting adapters with their 308s, no problems. It comes down to other issues. I was glue on my repaired reap that I will not have any more issues.
Posted By: djones

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 07/28/18 06:33 PM

dk... u cud prolly b a rokket scientest, ceptins u dunno anythin bout rokkets... or do u?

b advized... im the only one whoz evr one an argument with dk. not cuz im better then he is. cuz im smarter!!

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 07/28/18 10:33 PM

Haha, well I know this, you think you might know what I know what you might be talking about lol

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/16/18 02:49 PM

Weighed the parts to power the Trijicon scopes. If you end up sending you IR Hunter, REAP-IR, etc in for any repairs, firmware upgrade, etc., they will upgrade your battery compartment if it was manufactured before a particular date. All being produced now have upgraded battery compartments.

We sat down and started crunching numbers on force exerted by a certain weight, however there are too many factors that affect the numbers and cannot be rolled up as a definitive value because of the different factors. Those factors include cartridge, bullet weight, firearm weight shooter form, suppressors, muzzle brakes, recoil differences, accessory mounts, cables, etc. We calculated straight line general forces exerted by particular weights listed below, which are valuable, but not definitie due to other factors in the construction of the scopes.

Many are shooting battery caps with different batteries or external batteries and adapters with no issues. Other may have failed parts with external batteries and adapters, or scope failures due to poor design that has been remedied if your scope goes in for repair or upgrade and all new scopes. I'll leave it up to the buyer to decide.

I also received some information on an issue that Trijicon will address if needed. If you have any issues with installing batteries or they fit really tight, look inside your scopes battery compartment and see if there is excessive glue on the walls of the compartment.

Here are the approximate weights using my Pact digital scale. All weights are in grains and I converted also converted to ounces for a better perspective for some.

All photo's are located here:

http://www.pbase.com/rottweiler/battery_

I abbreviated vendor name, I'm not saying anything is right or wrong, good or bad, etc, this is the customers choice. Do they want a certain battery life, added weight, added equipment etc.

Long battery cap NVO - 549.7grs = 1.256 oz
Short battery cap TCT - 302.7grs = .692
UNV external battery adapter - 519.2grs = 1.187 oz
UNV dummy CR123 - 92.5grs = .211 oz
UNV cable connector approx. - 32.5grs = .074 oz (I added just a basic connector because this adds to the weight and depending on how the user mounts or attaches their cable it can add additional straight line or lateral forces)
Factory cap - 72.8gr = .166 oz

16650 battery - 610grs = 1.394 oz
17500 battery - 443.8grs = 1.014 oz
CR123 battery - 253.3grs = .579 oz

UNV kit - 644.2grs = 1.472 oz (does not include weight of battery, case, or cable, just what attaches to the battery compartment)
TCT kit (Mark II & III) - 1190.3grs = 2.721 oz
NVO Mark II & III kit - 1769.7grs = 4.045 oz
Mark II & III factory without extension, two CR123's - 599.1grs = 1.369
Mark II & III factory with extension and three CR123's - 1111.5grs = 2.541 oz

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/16/18 10:42 PM

xcuse me sir... but im gonna need to chk ur math. mind posting thoz nummers u crunched...

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/17/18 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: djones
xcuse me sir... but im gonna need to chk ur math. mind posting thoz nummers u crunched...

Even if I did you'd be confused lol.

But if you really wanted a simple approach, recoil energy is E=1/2 MV Squared, with "M" being weight (mass) of the gun and "V" being the recoil velocity. So you square the velocity recoil (have to know the weight of the bullet, powder charge and its velocity when exciting the bore). Then you multiply by the weight of the gun and divide by twice the acceleration of gravity, and you get the recoil energy in foot pounds.

Sounds easy, right? Well not quite, that's a simple baseline calculation, it's useful, but not the big picture.

Next time we're hunting and you countdown 3... 2...1..., I'm going to ask if you want the numbers? Lol.

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/17/18 02:05 AM

When we think of Newtons Law, that every action creates an equal and opposite reaction, there are a lot of factors considering parts, not just how weight affects them, but how the are designed, how they are held in place, etc. If you sit in a chair, the weight of your body creates one action, the chair against you creates another.

Use the energy formula to figure out recoil energy, but many other factors determine whether something will be held in place.

So, what we really need is more data to calculate force, which is strength or power exerted upon an object.

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/17/18 12:46 PM

yea i new awl that. gfy

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/17/18 01:47 PM

I knew you knew that, it's kinda like when you miss those hogs and there is a reaction of the bullet hitting those dirt clods. Bwahaha.

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/17/18 09:31 PM

that was low, even for you. next time we hunt, i'm not going to count down. how about that?

so striperman... what did you finally do about the battery?

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/18/18 12:55 PM

My suggestion to striper would be to run the TCT cap and batteries. Lasts about the same time on my Mark III when I would run 3 CR123's. Costs $249 with the cap, 4 batteries and a charger.

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/18/18 03:26 PM

I’ll suggest the UNV battery pack w/cable. Don’t think there is a setup out there that will get you a longer run time.

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/20/18 02:12 AM

Comes down to how much mounting space you have and extra weight added to the gun. Another cable to get hung up on stuff, more things to fail. But can get long runntimes and can go with a
smaller battery pack.

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/20/18 03:31 AM

The weight it addds is on the buttstock not the front of the scope So the “felt” difference isn’t very noticeable. Cable hangs up way less than you want people to believe. I’ve been hunting with one for a good amount of time and I’ve never been hung up. From the testing I did I got 12+ hours in 17* temps. That is excellent and equates to around 20 hours + on one charge.
Posted By: OneK

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/21/18 03:07 AM

I'm with DK. I think one cable is too much. I sure don't want two.

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/21/18 04:47 AM

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/21/18 04:49 AM

sorry... rong thread

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/21/18 05:11 AM

fireman... i dont think we can call ur recommendation completely unbiased, now can we

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/21/18 05:12 AM

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/21/18 12:41 PM

I'm glad to see the things haven't changed with you and David. LOL.. I never denied selling this item and I was never asked. Didn't feel the need to mention I sell thermal and accessories because I have my business banner in my signature. Plus I wasn't trying to sell it in this thread, If I did I would have posted a link to my site. I also believe I referred to it as the UNV pack. That statement would cause people to look at UNV to purchase it and not my site. I make $0 if it's not purchased from me so how is that biased?

You can call it biased all you want but I sell equipment that I have used and know it works. If another battery pack or extension worked better I would sell it. Plain and simple.

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/21/18 01:31 PM

If another battery pack or extension worked better I would sell it. Plain and simple.

So, I take it you have hunted with the battery extension DK is talking about??

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/21/18 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: OneK
If another battery pack or extension worked better I would sell it. Plain and simple.

So, I take it you have hunted with the battery extension DK is talking about??

The whole gang is here now!!!! I have not hunted with that extension. Reasons are, I do not want to run any extension because its adds extra weight to the battery compartment that it wasn't designed for. I don't want customers mad at me because something I sold could damage their scope. Secondly I serious doubt that it will last over 20 hrs like the UNV.

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/21/18 04:09 PM

It was a serious question. "The whole gang" is always interested in something better. I've hunted for two years with the extension and so far I've had zero problems. I carry this rifle in my truck all week and even the grandkids drag it around. I have not hunted 20 hours in a row and will never leave my scope on that long anyway even if it was capable of lasting a week. I've used it on 308 and 6.8 for thousands of rounds and never had a glitch. Your deal may be better, I've never used it. I won't use it because I don't like a bunch wires going every direction. I have enough trouble with just one.

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/21/18 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: djones
fireman... i dont think we can call ur recommendation completely unbiased, now can we

And David's recommendation is not biased?? I am pretty sure he is affiliated with Third Coast Thermal

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/21/18 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: OneK
It was a serious question. "The whole gang" is always interested in something better. I've hunted for two years with the extension and so far I've had zero problems. I carry this rifle in my truck all week and even the grandkids drag it around. I have not hunted 20 hours in a row and will never leave my scope on that long anyway even if it was capable of lasting a week. I've used it on 308 and 6.8 for thousands of rounds and never had a glitch. Your deal may be better, I've never used it. I won't use it because I don't like a bunch wires going every direction. I have enough trouble with just one.

Glad it's working out for you and understand you not wanting wires. I don't record so the battery pack wire is the only one I have and I'll say that it has never gotten hung up on anything for me.

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/21/18 08:24 PM

fireman - point taken. as far as 3rd coast, nah, i'm not affiliated with them or anyone else. i don't sell anything or prostaff for anyone. never even bought anything from 3rd coast... not that i wouldn't, just haven't. i have, however, purchased from unv. great guys. in fact, they may be the only people on the planet who know as much about killing hogs as i do.. lol richy - in case you're watching. ok, i suspect they have a few more kills than i do.

i have their battery pack. it worked great... right up until the time it didn't. scope shut off 3 times during a hog contest. i finally pulled it off and went back to 123s. i'm sure they would have taken care of it, but the battery cap extender was out by then. it was a much cleaner solution. like OinK, i hunt all night, but don't leave my scope on all night. i get about 3 hunts out of it. cables are a super pain for me. with OinK and dk in the trk with all their baggage, stuff gets broken... lens covers, cables tangled in slings, seat belts or tripods etc. btw, when i finally inspected the battery pack to see what happened, guess what the problem was grin, yep... at least i have an extra phone charger now.

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/21/18 08:29 PM

and for the record... yes OinK has hunted with the cap for a cpl years and fires thousands of rounds, but has only killed about 6 hogs.

and dk often gets these delusions of adequacy.

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/21/18 08:33 PM

To start I never said you were affiliated with anyone. It seemed to me that you wanted to distract from what I was saying by making me look biased because I sell the product that the OP asked about.

Re: Question on IR Hunter USB Battery Pack - 08/21/18 08:54 PM

ahh gotcha. my bad. you were referring to davidK. but i really wasn't trying to distract from what you were saying. i don't even remember what you were saying, lol. heck i don't even remember what i was saying.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum