Texas Hunting Forum

Best Cover Up Scent

Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Best Cover Up Scent - 06/04/18 10:46 PM

This may have been addressed before, so I apologize, as I am kind of new to this. Obviously the best thing to do is to stay out of the wind/downwind, but when the wind is not totally in your favor, what are the best cover up scents or methods that you guys use to cover your scent?
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Best Cover Up Scent - 06/04/18 11:43 PM

I've used fresh cow shirt, as long as you don't sit in a blind or get back in your truck soon after.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Best Cover Up Scent - 06/05/18 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
I've used fresh cow shirt, as long as you don't sit in a blind or get back in your truck soon after.

That’s hard core!!
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Best Cover Up Scent - 06/05/18 12:12 AM

Cover up scents are only effective on [censored] sapiens (LoL ok Hemo sapiens). Deer have no problem picking up your scent only need a few molecules. If sitting in cow shirt makes you stealthy, go for it.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Best Cover Up Scent - 06/05/18 12:12 AM

Diesel
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Best Cover Up Scent - 06/05/18 12:40 AM

Can you really cover your scent? Just hunt the wind and be done.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Best Cover Up Scent - 06/05/18 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: bigjoe8565
Can you really cover your scent? Just hunt the wind and be done.

Yup....
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Best Cover Up Scent - 06/05/18 03:23 AM

Maybe not a coverup scent but an attractant imitation vanilla extract made by Bakers. I have sprayed a lot of it and killed a lot of hogs while using it.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Best Cover Up Scent - 06/05/18 03:49 AM

I have a boar nut sack I cut off a big boar. I rub it all over myself every time I go hog hunting. Works great, give it a try and let me know how it works for you.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Best Cover Up Scent - 06/05/18 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
I have a boar nut sack I cut off a big boar. I rub it all over myself every time I go hog hunting. Works great, give it a try and let me know how it works for you.

Ya' Know, I might be willing to pay a small amount to see that …
Posted By: TXGH

Re: Best Cover Up Scent - 06/05/18 04:52 PM

So here is my take on it... The best form of scent control is to play your environment as well as take advantage of what you can control.

Scent free detergent, soap, deodorant ect. There are some Scent Eliminators that work and some that don't. The one I use I made and I know it works.

But it does not matter how much you prep, spray, or what clothes you buy. If you do not play the wind you will eventually get busted.

There is NO tricking a coyotes nose that is for sure, some deer who are accustomed to certain cents don't pay it attention but you will not fool them forever.

Bottom line is use all the stuff you want for extra protection (an animal circling you down wind you don't know about, wind shifts in a tree stand, ect) , but your number 1 form of scent control is being aware of your surroundings, environment, and wind direction.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Best Cover Up Scent - 06/05/18 07:00 PM

I don't think you can trick a hogs nose.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Best Cover Up Scent - 06/05/18 08:09 PM

I use Polo - the deer think I am a Chris Chris from Big D and won't hit where I aim. False sense of security!
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Best Cover Up Scent - 06/05/18 09:00 PM

This time of year...

Deep Woods Off
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Best Cover Up Scent - 06/06/18 12:22 AM

Sorry Sapper, but the first thing that comes to mind when I read this is “tea baggin”. Sorry that was just too easy.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Best Cover Up Scent - 06/06/18 12:49 AM

I have a boar nut sack I cut off a big boar. I rub it all over myself every time I go hog hunting.

worthless
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Best Cover Up Scent - 06/06/18 01:24 AM

Originally Posted By: ChrisB

this is right on the money!! If they get down wind you are busted
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Best Cover Up Scent - 06/06/18 09:50 AM

Just a good douse of skunk scent should take care of the problem and cover up the human scent without a problem.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Best Cover Up Scent - 06/06/18 01:15 PM

So the secret is shower with unscented soap and then rub a rancid boar sack complete with contents marinated in fresh cow pies with a touch of vanilla, diesel and deep woods off topped off with skunk scent all over your body?

Sounds like I need to make sure to stand or sit UPWIND if we go pig hunting.

I think I'll just play the wind....
Posted By: MClark

Re: Best Cover Up Scent - 06/06/18 02:08 PM

There I hunt they hang their teen age son's smelly shoes from the feeder, swap out a fresh (?) pair when filling the feeder.
The smell is always there and is associated with food.

M
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Best Cover Up Scent - 06/06/18 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
Originally Posted By: ChrisB

this is right on the money!! If they get down wind you are busted

I shoot a lot of hogs down wind of me. I don't like to because the odds of getting busted are definitely increased, but just because the hogs are down wind doesn't mean you will get busted.

Even if you get busted, doesn't mean the hogs will necessarily move very far.

Hogs may have the capability of sensing your smell from a great distance, but whether or not they are exercising that capability or acting on what they learn is a whole other matter.

Originally Posted By: MClark
There I hunt they hang their teen age son's smelly shoes from the feeder, swap out a fresh (?) pair when filling the feeder.
The smell is always there and is associated with food.

M

I can see the new story now, "Son Hiking in Woods Eaten By Feral Hogs"
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Best Cover Up Scent - 06/07/18 10:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper
This time of year...

Deep Woods Off

Yes Yes
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Best Cover Up Scent - 06/12/18 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: der Teufel

Ya' Know, I might be willing to pay a small amount to see that …

We could take up a collection.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum