Texas Hunting Forum

4 Boars Down - Hunting With Pig_Popper!

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

4 Boars Down - Hunting With Pig_Popper! - 05/03/18 04:41 PM

Always an adventure and he brings me Throwback Mountain Dew! We headed down to Bosque County again after skipping last week, and as with our previous visits, the hogs were there right after dark.

We set up to watch two fields when he spotted the first hog. We had not even sat down yet. As the hog was working his way toward us, we just chilled until he moved into position - you can't beat that! Then things got better. While finishing up with the first hog, another was spotted. As we made our way toward it, two more were spotted. We shot the closest and the others didn't run. So we shot the next one and the last one didn't run and so we shot it. No doubt the favorable winds and use of suppressors helped keep the hogs from being spooked when we shot.

Posted By: Bar-D

Re: 4 Boars Down - Hunting With Pig_Popper! - 05/03/18 05:15 PM

upKudos x 4.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: 4 Boars Down - Hunting With Pig_Popper! - 05/03/18 06:37 PM

Gotta love when it works out like that.

A while back I got out of my truck and loaded my gun in preparation to walk down to a spot I scan from. I heard a grunt and there was a large sow 30 yards away staring at me. I shot her and then walked to the spot I had planned to scan and there was a large boar eating corn. I walked down and killed him. I couldn’t believe my first shot didn’t scare him away as it was only about 150 yards away. Sometimes I guess they just don’t care.
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: 4 Boars Down - Hunting With Pig_Popper! - 05/03/18 07:21 PM

Great shooting great video clap
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: 4 Boars Down - Hunting With Pig_Popper! - 05/03/18 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Deadend
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: 4 Boars Down - Hunting With Pig_Popper! - 05/03/18 09:10 PM

Nice work all around!
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: 4 Boars Down - Hunting With Pig_Popper! - 05/03/18 11:36 PM

This hunt was definitely unique, it was like a shooting gallery with the varying distances 60 yards out past 200 yards and hogs 3 & 4 sticking around to give us additional shot opportunities.

DNS lent me a thermal spotter which definitely contributed to my ability to spot the hogs without using my rifle to do so which isn't necessarily safe or practical.

Then he pulls out the Garrett Pro-pointer and immediately locates our bullets in the downed animals. Watching him use his cutting tools and metal detecting device was like watching Mastery in Motion, I try to keep the camera clicking and my hands out of the way!

Thus far the hogs have made regular appearances on this property, while we've stayed within the two main hay fields and had plenty of hogs to keep us busy we do see MANY hogs across the road on a neighboring property so needless to say there are plenty in the vicinity and this would appear to be one of those situations where you keep killing them off and the next hogs step in to assume their territory.

Thanks again for the invite and Carpe Sus!
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: 4 Boars Down - Hunting With Pig_Popper! - 05/04/18 03:54 AM

Nice shooting
Posted By: mikei

Re: 4 Boars Down - Hunting With Pig_Popper! - 05/04/18 04:17 PM

Good work, both you guys! It can't get much better than this! Do you hunt for your downed hogs with infra red spotters or blood detectors? Trying to find them in those hip-high hay fields has got to be a bit of a chore.
Posted By: JTPinTX

Re: 4 Boars Down - Hunting With Pig_Popper! - 05/04/18 09:50 PM

I always like the videos you guys do. That was a good shooting set too. Worked out well for y'all.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: 4 Boars Down - Hunting With Pig_Popper! - 05/04/18 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: mikei
Good work, both you guys! It can't get much better than this! Do you hunt for your downed hogs with infra red spotters or blood detectors? Trying to find them in those hip-high hay fields has got to be a bit of a chore.

It took about 20 minutes to find one, I finally had to lay all the gear down and using a white light i oriented perpendicular to the planted rows to optimize scanning with a thermal spotted and I walked 50 yards further then my first impulse that I’ve gone too far and viola !
Posted By: HansETX

Re: 4 Boars Down - Hunting With Pig_Popper! - 05/06/18 07:06 PM

Great hunting video guys!
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: 4 Boars Down - Hunting With Pig_Popper! - 05/07/18 08:04 AM

Great video as usual. Good shooting too. up
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: 4 Boars Down - Hunting With Pig_Popper! - 05/07/18 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted By: Deadend

up