Texas Hunting Forum

Secret Boar Baits

Posted By: Treinta-Treinta

Secret Boar Baits - 02/24/18 02:39 AM

Hopefully this isn’t a duplicate thread.

Things I’ve found big lone boars can’t resist in my area and work better than the commercial products:

Whiskey soaked corn with a touch of Amaretto

Peanut powder, salt, and saccharine mixed in cheap vegetable oil

Grapes or Red koolaids, salt, brown sugar, saccharine, and caffeine pills mixed with cheap vegetable oil or water.

Carpet nailed around a tree with rearaxle lube squirted all over it

They really seem to stop by these areas day and night like a buck running a scrape.

Anxious to read y’alls
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 02/24/18 05:24 AM

They can not resist the Miss Piggy pin up. popcorn
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 02/24/18 05:37 AM

Indian corn,,,,,can not be beat.

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 02/24/18 01:28 PM

RanchDog, I will say every year when I chunk the wife’s indian corn out after the fall holiday decorations are done, the masses beat feet to it. They never eat the shucks though.
Posted By: hetman

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 02/24/18 02:45 PM

Here’s a great recipe from the Georgia Department of Natural Resources

150 pounds of corn
8 pounds of sugar
1 packet of yeast
4 or 5 packets of grape, strawberry, or raspberry flavored gelatin or drink powder. Place the corn in a 40 gallon metal trash can and fill it with water to 3 to 4 inches above the corn. Mix in all the other ingredients. Place the trash can in the sun with the lid secured. Stir it with a shovel or paddle daily for 10 to 14 days.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 02/24/18 04:10 PM

Leftover sour mash from last batch of home-made moonshine.
Just don't get it on you!

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 02/25/18 11:57 AM

I hear those butter flavored popcorn Jelly Bellies will bring them in too. They are Gawd aweful to me so maybe there is some truth to the rumor.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 02/25/18 12:23 PM

My "go-to" trapping bait is crimped corn with almond milk. Doesn't sour like milk and they tear it up. There always seems to be some left in the back of the fridge.
Posted By: VAFish

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 02/25/18 09:11 PM

Are they really a secret boar bait if you post them on the internet?
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 02/25/18 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: hetman

150 pounds of corn
8 pounds of sugar
1 packet of yeast
4 or 5 packets of grape, strawberry, or raspberry flavored gelatin or drink powder. Place the corn in a 40 gallon metal trash can and fill it with water to 3 to 4 inches above the corn. Mix in all the other ingredients. Place the trash can in the sun with the lid secured. Stir it with a shovel or paddle daily for 10 to 14 days.
Let ferment, drink a couple of pulls, scan for hogs, take a couple more pulls, scan. A couple more pulls, then say eff it. Time to get drunk. To heck with the hogs.

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 02/26/18 03:58 PM

I share stuff like this so other folk can give it a whirl.
Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 02/26/18 05:17 PM

Anything sweet! I have used any fruity koolaid powder, Tang powder, and if you think it might rain use Jello Powder since it doesn't run off as much.... a lot of the store bought attractants smell just like koolaid they just cost A LOT more! lol
Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 02/26/18 05:19 PM

I've also thrown out old fruit and have so far learned that they LOVE Oranges, they like apples and they never touched the cranberries I through out once.......
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 02/26/18 06:39 PM

Whenever I throw out old fruit, the raccoons and deer devour whatever is out there long before the hogs ever arrive, LOL. I would need 50lbs of the stuff to make it through the night, LOL.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 02/26/18 08:41 PM

Just to remind everyone... they call it "eating like a pig" for a reason. Corn alone or with any side item works. A hog and corn are all that's needed, everything else is just lagniappe. Erath had the best answer. smile
Posted By: MClark

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 02/27/18 03:29 AM

Many baits here and other posts have corn fermented or alcohol added.
What if cheap alcohol was used, maybe a drip or wick, instead of the fermented mixtures.
Easy quick set up .

M
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 02/27/18 08:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Treinta-Treinta
RanchDog, I will say every year when I chunk the wife’s indian corn out after the fall holiday decorations are done, the masses beat feet to it. They never eat the shucks though.

They don't eat the shucks because one day they will be wrapped in it. TAMALES! Just saying.

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 02/27/18 09:34 PM

Right on
Posted By: ScrapIron

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 03/04/18 02:36 AM

strawberry syrup poured on the ground.
any place a tractor breaks a hydraulic line and it pours oil on the ground.
sour apple jolly rancher powdered jello mix
any type of expensive cattle feed or mineral meant for cows
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 03/04/18 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
Just to remind everyone... they call it "eating like a pig" for a reason. Corn alone or with any side item works. A hog and corn are all that's needed, everything else is just lagniappe. Erath had the best answer. smile

Yup, pigs come to corn feeders on the run. We just use corn for pigs at feeders and traps.
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 03/13/18 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Scrap iron
strawberry syrup poured on the ground.
any place a tractor breaks a hydraulic line and it pours oil on the ground.
sour apple jolly rancher powdered jello mix
any type of expensive cattle feed or mineral meant for cows

I bought a tractor pretty cheap once that the hogs had chewed the hydraulic lines off of and dug the tractor in deep! Rancher was not pleased.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 03/14/18 01:10 AM

I'm going to mix up some leftover keg beer and corn and throw it out after it cooks in the sun for a few days/weeks.

I normally wouldn't waste the beer but one of my son's friends had his 21st Bday party and had to have a big keg.
Hard for a handfull of guys to drink a whole keg so I have excess to throw a piggy party.

Put 2 gallons of corn in a 2.5 gallon plastic jug.
Fill almost to top with 4 day old beer and cap.

I wonder if pigs would drink hot beer if I put some out in a tub?
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 03/14/18 04:54 AM

Originally Posted By: hetman

150 pounds of corn
8 pounds of sugar
1 packet of yeast

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 03/16/18 01:27 PM

Heck even the corn spray works
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 03/21/18 07:50 PM

pile of corn pour on some diesel
Posted By: rickym

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 03/21/18 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Vern1
I'm going to mix up some leftover keg beer and corn and throw it out after it cooks in the sun for a few days/weeks.

I normally wouldn't waste the beer but one of my son's friends had his 21st Bday party and had to have a big keg.
Hard for a handfull of guys to drink a whole keg so I have excess to throw a piggy party.

Put 2 gallons of corn in a 2.5 gallon plastic jug.
Fill almost to top with 4 day old beer and cap.

I wonder if pigs would drink hot beer if I put some out in a tub?

I remember those days... barf

Id bet they would
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Secret Boar Baits - 03/22/18 02:38 AM

corn popcorn

For a little aroma, used ts get the black plastic containers the nuts & bolts came in at the foundry. Pour in 20#'s corn add water, & let sit in sun for a week. Nothen fancy.

Still prefure corn sling out by use of timer, it was just off the side of deer food plot by creek-branch. Hear the sound.
flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum