Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting hogs under a full moon

Posted By: Olshovel

Hunting hogs under a full moon - 01/31/18 11:26 PM

how has your luck been while hunting under a full moon. Is it any better or worse than a dark night?
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Hunting hogs under a full moon - 01/31/18 11:42 PM

Haven’t noticed much difference. It can make it harder to stalk in close.
Posted By: Midwaytmm

Re: Hunting hogs under a full moon - 02/01/18 12:20 AM

Pitch black is always better
Posted By: PappyG1

Re: Hunting hogs under a full moon - 02/01/18 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Haven’t noticed much difference. It can make it harder to stalk in close.

^^^This. I also switch over to my AR10 and take longer shots.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Hunting hogs under a full moon - 02/01/18 12:26 AM

As mentioned, trying to get up closer to a sounder with a full moon is more difficult. Hunting over a feeder, I've not found any difference at all.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Hunting hogs under a full moon - 02/01/18 12:34 AM

What I do know is that if you aren't out hunting, then you won't get anything.

Hogs gotta eat. They eat under full moons. They eat under no moon. They eat under waxing moons and they eat under waning moons.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Hunting hogs under a full moon - 02/01/18 12:34 AM

Harder to stalk in close. Use cover (trees or terrain) as much as possible.
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Hunting hogs under a full moon - 02/01/18 03:46 AM

Seems like they come out later on bright moons
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Hunting hogs under a full moon - 02/01/18 12:11 PM

I've got to agree with Deadend, seems to me they come out later on bright nights. I sat in a stand from just before dark until 1:00 this morning and saw nothing but about a dozen deer coming to the feeder. I have much more success on dark nights when hunting my feeders.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Hunting hogs under a full moon - 02/01/18 04:22 PM

All that said, it's great to be out and hunting on the bright nights. It really makes me feel alive and part of the night.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Hunting hogs under a full moon - 02/01/18 04:32 PM

After chasing these suckers for years at night, I have found that with bright moon:
Harder to stalk close and wind direction plays into it a lot more - they seem to stop and smell more than dark nights.
Stand not much difference.
They seem to come out about 2 hours after moon rise around here.
If the moon is already up when the sun goes down, they come out just before midnight or later in morning around 5am.

Since the change from full moon to full dark is gradual, the pigs acclimate to it and change their schedules to accommodate the change.
The exceptions are full moon AND cloud cover - they tend to come out earlier to take advantage of darkness and forage for food.

These are merely my observations of the hogs in my area - YMMV.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Hunting hogs under a full moon - 02/01/18 04:35 PM

Love it but dont think your going to just walk up on them... if you get in the moonlight shine they are gona spot you
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Hunting hogs under a full moon - 02/02/18 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Old Stony
I've got to agree with Deadend, seems to me they come out later on bright nights. I sat in a stand from just before dark until 1:00 this morning and saw nothing but about a dozen deer coming to the feeder. I have much more success on dark nights when hunting my feeders.

They came out at 1:30. Lol bolt
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Hunting hogs under a full moon - 02/02/18 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Deadend

rofl
Posted By: Bacon8tor

Re: Hunting hogs under a full moon - 02/03/18 02:06 AM

They don't seem to care what the moon is doing where I hunt. I was just out this past Wednesday during the full moon and came up on a sounder about an hour past moonrise. Stalked up to within 75 yards or so I'd guess. Could make out the hogs with my naked eyes.

Makes it so much easier to navigate since i don't have any night vision yet just the thermal.
Posted By: svbubba

Re: Hunting hogs under a full moon - 02/03/18 04:26 AM

tagged..........
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Hunting hogs under a full moon - 02/03/18 04:52 AM

Not enough experience with the different conditions to make a judgement, but I did get skunked this week with the bright supermoon. Heard hogs across a pasture in some trees but they never came out while we were there.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Hunting hogs under a full moon - 02/04/18 10:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
What I do know is that if you aren't out hunting, then you won't get anything.

Hogs gotta eat. They eat under full moons. They eat under no moon. They eat under waxing moons and they eat under waning moons.

My problem is working nights. I get out at night when I get off days. Otherwise I hunt early morning when I get off sometimes.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Hunting hogs under a full moon - 02/05/18 03:41 PM

You just need to stay near cover. If you walk out into the open you stick out like a sore thumb. You can walk along tree lines to get close just don’t step out
Posted By: animator

Re: Hunting hogs under a full moon - 02/06/18 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted By: Deadend

rofl

It happens laugh

I've been at a feeder at 10:30, checked cameras, then headed to another feeder, then checked my original camera the next day and had a pig stop by 30 min after I left the first feeder.

I've also had them be at a feeder, eat for an hour, and then take off within 15 min before I get there.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum