Texas Hunting Forum

My Biggest Boar

Posted By: Txduckman

My Biggest Boar - 12/19/17 03:49 AM

Got this guy last night by Ringgold at friends lease near mine. I was dragging a doe out of the brush I got a little earlier and saw a big group of pigs in the wheat about 160 yards away. I got a little closer and rested on a mesquite branch. Picked the biggest out but had no idea they were this big. He ran and I looked for him after buddy came to load up the deer. Amazingly found him in just a few minutes with no blood trail and could not believe the size. We could not lift it all. Head will be euro mount. Based on guesstimate by measurement could be around 325. Also saw one of the biggest bucks I have ever seen eating exactly where the pig was shot.

Posted By: dlrz71

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/19/17 03:54 AM

WOW...nice hog up
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/19/17 04:07 AM

eeks333

I would agree that one goes over 300 easy...dang nice, but I bet he stank like nasty.

Why didn't you shoot the buck too? elmer don't need to worry about legal shooting time when you get that guy he will scare away any game warden

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/19/17 04:52 AM

Oh he was sweet smelling.

I didn't shoot the buck because it was my friends lease and I was there for doe only. He obviously should have sat there! And it was outside my comfortable distance at 300 yards. 220 is my furthest buck and didn't make a great shot but still got him. This guy did run to 220 after I the doe.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/19/17 04:56 AM

Good hog there, looks like a small truck!
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/19/17 06:03 AM

OUTSTANDING!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/19/17 11:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
OUTSTANDING!
Posted By: chalet

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/19/17 10:08 PM

wow
Posted By: BOLT GUY

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/19/17 10:44 PM

XXXL Hog....good job!
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/19/17 10:53 PM

rifle taz

Congratulations on big one
Posted By: TAT

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/19/17 11:14 PM

I rarely see pigs that will go over 300 contrary to what a lot of people say! Lol. This one does no problem. He is huge! Congrats.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/20/17 02:23 AM

Monster hog.
Excellent job, Keep After 'Em!
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/20/17 03:12 AM

That's a toad for sure.

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/20/17 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: TAT
I rarely see pigs that will go over 300 contrary to what a lot of people say! Lol. This one does no problem. He is huge! Congrats.

For sure. I love it when someone talks about a 300+lb'er that they moved all by themselves.

This one is all of 300 and probably closer to 325-330. maybe more.

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/20/17 04:40 AM

Yeah, I am guilty of claiming some other ones when I was a newer hunter bigger than they were until saw some actualy weights. But when I walked up on this, it was better than Disney World. I was flashing the light at my buddy who was in the truck because I had no idea the size of this guy. Apparantly he was further than I thought when I shot since he didn't seem this big. Range finder was in the blind. Should make an awesome nice euro mount. Wish we could have weighed it but we were too far from camp to drag it down the road. Rope probably would have broke from friction. I honestly think we needed 4 guys to load it but probably could have figured it out with 3. Heck with 2, we should have tied it off with rope and then tried to throw it on. I do that with deer when by myself. Anyone use that method on big ones?
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/20/17 04:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye

For sure. I love it when someone talks about a 300+lb'er that they moved all by themselves.

This one is all of 300 and probably closer to 325-330. maybe more.
Ive loaded a 300 lb boar on my own into my truck bed. Kill one and ill show you how its done. Chest measured 51 inches. Ive loaded many a 200-250 by myself with other people present just to see how I do it. What makes me laugh is when people say the hog was so big 4 grown men couldn't roll him over. Ive already disproved that theory via youtube video, guess ill have to take a video of me loading a big hog now too. I think I'm pretty strong but its more about leverage and leg strength than anything else.

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/20/17 05:37 AM

I could roll him over so that is a myth but need to watch your video to get him loaded in a truck. I think if we had a rope on him and then lifted his front on and tied off tight, then lifted back could have done it but didn't try it unfortunately. But not sure with one person. We could not lift it at all. One guy was 6'4".

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/20/17 05:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
I could roll him over so that is a myth but need to watch your video to get him loaded in a truck. I think if we had a rope on him and then lifted his front on and tied off tight, then lifted back could have done it but didn't try it unfortunately. But not sure with one person. We could not lift it at all. One guy was 6'4".
I put a tow strap around their heads then climb in the truck bed. Then I get in my knees and grab the rope as close as I can to their head and wrap around my hand. Then I work my way to a squatting position and then lift the weight with my legs kinda like a dead lift. Once you get the head past the tailgate and about to the hogs shoulders just lean back with all your weight and slide them in at that point most the weight is being supported by the tailgate. The biggest hog weighed around 310 and I’ll admit it took almost everything I had to get him up to his shoulders so I could pull him in. Actually the first attempt I thought to myself no way in hell but I talked myself I to trying again. Wear leather gloves bc the rope is very tight on the hands lol. It’s not easy but it’s not impossible either.

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/20/17 06:10 AM

Man, we tried to get his shoulder over the tailgate and could not do it. We got his head on but could not get over the legs and weight just pulled it off when we tried anything else. An incline would have helped but it was a wheat field. Maybe the rope on him first would have helped and dead lifted him. We tried a few times. Not sure I would trust the tailgate with 775 lbs of humans and pig. Knife and hatchet got his head so good enough for that one. At least we could pull it out of the field on the hitch. Will try that method next time for sure. Not sure if I will get a chance at that one that big though. Thanks.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/20/17 01:42 PM

Yessir, Txduckman...that's one to brag about!

Nicely done Sir!

And I'll confess: My feats of strength are long past and I'm not ashamed to use my front end loader..
Posted By: Woj

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/20/17 05:33 PM

I've posted this vid before, but this is the biggest so far for 'us'. My 9 yr old daughter shot him way back when. excuse the quality of the video, it was a long time ago and handheld. 90 yds, .223 in the ear. It took three of us to slide him into the pickup.

Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/20/17 05:51 PM

you should at least measure his girth so you can make some guess

they're not as heavy as you think

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/20/17 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: cabosandinh

they're not has heavy as you think
yep. I carry a fabric measuring tape with me all the time while hog hunting. The ones I’ve measured and then weighed came out fairly close
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/20/17 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Originally Posted By: cabosandinh

they're not has heavy as you think
yep. I carry a fabric measuring tape with me all the time while hog hunting. The ones I’ve measured and then weighed came out fairly close

I rate my hogs as

good - as in good eating size
big - as in I struggle to move him
heavy - as in put that beer down and give me a hand
get the scale - as in I don't want to lie, lets put him on a scale

if scale is not available - they're all just 'big'

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/20/17 07:06 PM

I put a tow strap around their heads then climb in the truck bed. Then I get in my knees and grab the rope as close as I can to their head and wrap around my hand. Then I work my way to a squatting position and then lift the weight with my legs kinda like a dead lift. Once you get the head past the tailgate and about to the hogs shoulders just lean back with all your weight and slide them in at that point most the weight is being supported by the tailgate. The biggest hog weighed around 310 and I’ll admit it took almost everything I had to get him up to his shoulders so I could pull him in. Actually the first attempt I thought to myself no way in hell but I talked myself I to trying again. Wear leather gloves bc the rope is very tight on the hands lol. It’s not easy but it’s not impossible either.

I wasn't knocking anyone in specific on this thread when I talked about people moving 300 lb'ers....however, for someone to move a 300lb hog it takes some work, for sure. I did see a video once where a guy said the hog was about 300lbs and he was slinging it around out from under some cedars with one or two legs held and no effort at all....that hog probably didn't even push 200lbs.

But Sapper makes the point very well, to move a 300 lb hog, it takes some serious man card. with one or three people, its work. And to drag a 300lb hog uphill in muddy terrain, it is serious work with two guys.

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/20/17 07:18 PM

I wasn't knocking anyone in specific on this thread when I talked about people moving 300 lb'ers....however, for someone to move a 300lb hog it takes some work, for sure. I did see a video once where a guy said the hog was about 300lbs and he was slinging it around out from under some cedars with one or two legs held and no effort at all....that hog probably didn't even push 200lbs.

But Sapper makes the point very well, to move a 300 lb hog, it takes some serious man card. with one or three people, its work. And to drag a 300lb hog uphill in muddy terrain, it is serious work with two guys.
I have a hard time grabbing a 150 lb hog by the leg and dragging it’s just hard to hold onto. Lots of friction when dragging on the ground as well. Me and a buddy pulled a big pregnant sow about 50 yards through some thick cedar and it was a pain in the arse to say the least. Most the time only reason i load the big ones is to get a pic on the tailgate for size comparison. Here is the biggest I’ve loaded on my own to date. He was 60 inches long and taped 51 inches girth. Thing was massive and I couldn’t drag him so backed up and hooked strap to him to get him to where I could load him. Pics don’t do this thing justice he was way bigger and heavier than any other hog I’ve ever shot.

Posted By: TXAg08

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/20/17 07:39 PM

That is a nice pig!

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/20/17 09:36 PM

Mine was 64 inches long, 49 inch girth. My fingers did not touch then I grabbed his legs. I am 205 lbs for reference.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/20/17 11:35 PM

that's not a pig that's a hog
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/24/17 02:04 AM

^^^^^^^^^ Absolutely! When you go to move an honest to goodness 300 lb. hog....you'll know it.

The last one that size that I killed, was on a pipeline and my stand and vehicle were in the adjoining pasture. I didn't want to drive all the way around the gate and down the rather rough pipeline, so I tried to drag it over to the fenceline where I'd be able to get a rope on it and drag it with my truck.

Well....about 20 yds. of dragging was all I was good for. I'm 6'-5" and 270 lbs. and still pretty strong, but I phoned my Father-in-Law to bring the tractor and I rolled it into the bucket, instead.

Any hog over 200 lbs. is a good size animal. When they hit 300 lbs. or better (fairly uncommon), you'll know it. I actually weigh my hogs or at least tape them, no guessing.

Posted By: Hogz

Re: My Biggest Boar - 12/27/17 12:15 AM

Wow!!! Congrats!!!
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: My Biggest Boar - 01/01/18 12:17 PM

Quite a bit ago, I rigged up a simple lift thing from a boat trailer winch. Once I get the head up a little above the tail light, I can swing the rest over onto the tailgate. I am an old codger (72) and do most of this stuff by myself, so the really heavy lifting is sort of out of the picture for me anymore.
I welded the winch to a length of square stock, and just stick it into the square hole at the back of the bed, and lift it back out when I'm through. I've lifted some that were probably pretty close to the 300 mark this way.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum