Texas Hunting Forum

Ahhhh, sweet revenge on the hogs

Posted By: 603Country

Ahhhh, sweet revenge on the hogs - 12/17/17 05:51 PM

They went fully nocturnal some time back. Eating my feeder corn and tearing up pasture. The deer even changed their feeding patterns, and i’m blaming it on the hogs. I have an old hog trap that I haven’t used in a few years, so I dragged it out of the weeds and up to the barn and greased it up and reworked the trigger. Then I put where they had to see it and corned it all up and locked the door open. Last evening I set the trigger. Now I have 4 to clean for the freezer. Yum! And i’ll Give some to the grandson, the ‘starving college kid’.

This isn’t all the pigs, by far, but it’s a start. Revenge is sweet.
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Ahhhh, sweet revenge on the hogs - 12/17/17 06:05 PM

Get whatcha can while ya can. They wise up pretty fast to a trap.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Ahhhh, sweet revenge on the hogs - 12/17/17 06:19 PM

worthless
Posted By: mikei

Re: Ahhhh, sweet revenge on the hogs - 12/17/17 06:55 PM

Good job! What I do, to reduce the "trap shy" behavior, is, after a "catch" in one trap, I wire the door open again for a week or so, keep spreading a bit of bait inside and around the trap, and as soon as I notice corn being eaten inside the trap, I'll set the trigger and catch some more of them! They are wary and smart, but they're gluttons that can't resist a free meal.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Ahhhh, sweet revenge on the hogs - 12/17/17 11:58 PM

Mikei, that’s exactly what I did. If the freezer is full, i’ll Offer pigs to friends or use them for coyote bait. That’s assuming I don’t get outsmarted. The pigs are smart.

I think the big sow was carrying the next load of piglets. She was rotund. And she had some really long bristles on her back.

Oddly enough, the little pigs had that stink on them already. That was a surprise to me.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum