Texas Hunting Forum

Busted and disgusted..

Posted By: JCCinOhio

Busted and disgusted.. - 12/12/17 02:55 PM

Had always heard that pigs are always on the move.. well not this time. Big one was laying in some sage 'grass' (that really dry, coarse crap) out in this field... right where the deer always lay.. so I didn't take a good look at it... because it was just laying there for like 10 minutes. Well as soon as I got more upwind (I was walking to a feeder) of it, it lifted its nose. By the time I got the gun off my shoulder it was off into the plum thickets.. I was maybe 50yds from it.. I'm gutted... would have been my first US pig.. Shot a nice one in the Black Forest of Germany a few years back.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Busted and disgusted.. - 12/12/17 03:43 PM

Yes, it is hard to imagine, but just like all the other animals, hogs do rest from time to time. Most hunters don't catch them resting or nesting, however. If they are up on their feet, then chances are, they are moving and that is how we usually see them.

You'll get another opportunity. You didn't scare him off as much as pushed him off. It will be back.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Busted and disgusted.. - 12/12/17 11:25 PM

JC, good luck on the next one. Don't wait so long next time, shootem where they lay, stand, walk or run. Keep huntin.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Busted and disgusted.. - 12/12/17 11:38 PM

Identification if important! You did well by not shooting before you were certain what it was.
Sometimes they get away. As DNS said, you moved him off but he probably hasn't left the area.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Busted and disgusted.. - 12/12/17 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: der Teufel
Identification if important! You did well by not shooting before you were certain what it was.
Sometimes they get away. As DNS said, you moved him off but he probably hasn't left the area.

Agree
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Busted and disgusted.. - 12/13/17 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: der Teufel

Good advise - and don't worry, there are plenty more out there!
Posted By: VAFish

Re: Busted and disgusted.. - 12/14/17 02:01 PM

Think how disgusted you would feel if you shot the farmers cow because you were too quick on the trigger. Think about how you would never be allowed back on the property and how you would be making a bad name for all hunters.

You erred on the side of caution, you learned something about the hogs on the property. And by not firing a shot he didn't get an education. I wouldn't be surprised if he is back there in a couple days.

Don't beat yourself up, it was still a good day.
Posted By: ifearnodeer

Re: Busted and disgusted.. - 12/14/17 09:36 PM

Agreed with all above posts, have to id that target, just how it goes sometimes. All good though, it's Texas, there are crap tons of em about. Lots of other chances.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum