Texas Hunting Forum

Choke Tube Preference

Posted By: Wessli

Choke Tube Preference - 12/07/17 10:33 PM

Hey guys,

Rookie question here. I'll be making the trip to North Texas for hogs. First Time
Going to bring a rifle but also a Benelli with extended Magazine.

I've got a patternmaster in there now for Goose hunting, wondering if that'll work or if I need to change it out for Buck Shot.

thanks in advance.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Choke Tube Preference - 12/09/17 04:14 AM

With buckshot, there’s no substitute for the patterning board.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Choke Tube Preference - 12/09/17 04:24 AM

I’ve killed a few at 20-35 yards with 00 Buck with modifies choke
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Choke Tube Preference - 12/09/17 01:08 PM

this is what I have on a 870 18 1/2" 12 ga. and it patterns great out to 75 or more yards. keeps a nice tight pattern for the 9 pellet shells.

The Trulock Tactical Choke was designed to produce optimum performance with breaching rounds, buckshot and rifled slugs. This eliminates the need to change muzzle devices when alternating ammunition from breaching rounds to buckshot or rifled slugs. The crenulated muzzle ensures positive grip when used as a standoff tool. More than just a breaching tool, this new design goes beyond a single purpose. The Trulock Tactical Choke produces improved downrange accuracy and performance for buckshot or rifled slug applications.

https://trulockchokes.com/tactical/
Posted By: VAFish

Re: Choke Tube Preference - 12/09/17 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: syncerus
With buckshot, there’s no substitute for the patterning board.

This.

You need to test the buckshot your have in your gun and see how it patterns. Many times Full Choke does not pattern best with Buckshot.
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Choke Tube Preference - 12/10/17 02:52 AM

However many shotguns pattern buckshot very well with tight chokes, my favorite has a .660 ID and it keeps buckshot in tighter patterns than anything I have ever tried. That is certain buckshot loads not your cheap RIO buckshot. I say whatever choke you have you must try several brands of buckshot to find the one that patterns best. Don't overlook 0 buck if you can find it. I use the Primos tight wad turkey choke.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum