Texas Hunting Forum

Pre-Thanksgiving Hog & Coyote

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Pre-Thanksgiving Hog & Coyote - 11/23/17 04:36 PM

Jeez it got chilly last night, but it was a good night to be hunting! I returned to a property that I had not been to in a while. There wasn't a lot of activity, but enough to keep me interested.

Had a good-sized probable boar come in, but was in a pasture where I believe the landowner is breeding his cattle with the bull that I have been warned to stay away from. So the hog was downed, but I never got a close look at it.

I was feeling good about the hunt, but was cold and decided to pack up the caller and head home. One last scan revealed a coyote coming in and so I reached around and turned on the caller for the 2nd time last night and this coyote was interested...so much so that when my first shot missed, he still kept coming...

Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Pre-Thanksgiving Hog & Coyote - 11/23/17 05:18 PM

Nice shooting.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Pre-Thanksgiving Hog & Coyote - 11/23/17 05:42 PM

It appears the coyote gave you a Thanksgiving Day present.

Nice going.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Re: Pre-Thanksgiving Hog & Coyote - 11/23/17 07:39 PM

Some days things work against you and some days they work for you. I will take a little luck and be happy with it. I like hunting these coyotes that haven't been hunted before.
Posted By: waverider

Re: Pre-Thanksgiving Hog & Coyote - 11/24/17 01:48 PM

Great hunt
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Pre-Thanksgiving Hog & Coyote - 11/24/17 07:01 PM

clap

rifle taz
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Pre-Thanksgiving Hog & Coyote - 11/24/17 08:14 PM

up

Re: Pre-Thanksgiving Hog & Coyote - 11/24/17 09:03 PM

This year on this property has turned out well. I was checked my records and I started on this property during the week after Thanksgiving in 2016. It is about 350 acres. At the time I started, 100-150 acres had signs of extensive active rooting. I tallied up the kills for the year and while hogs were the primary target and 27 were killed and recovered, 29 coyotes were also killed during this period. I have enjoyed working with this landowner because as soon as he finds a new area of damage, he will send me a note. More than once, it has resulted in me killing a hog or hogs on my next visit. If scheduling permits, I will show up that night, though that isn't always possible. I sent him the tally for the year and he sent back a nice letter of thanks and said that he has definitely noticed a reduction in traffic and damage caused by the hogs. That is the goal I am shooting for. We can't eradicate them, but we can mitigate the damage being done to the properties we protect.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Pre-Thanksgiving Hog & Coyote - 11/25/17 10:27 AM

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum