Texas Hunting Forum

Hog attractant

Posted By: macec3(TX)

Hog attractant - 11/07/17 12:21 AM

I have a group of about 7 or 8 hogs tearing up my pastures. They seem to be very trap shy. A friend brought 3 box traps over. Baited with corn and sometime he put a sweet smelling powder on the corn. Some time we used soured corn. Had them here for 3 months and nothing. I erected a 16' diameter trap that had the gate tied up. A few small hogs wandered in and out (got pictures with game camera), but the large sows wouldn't go inside. Got tired of feeding the hoard of coons and quit baiting this trap. I am now in the process of setting up a 40' diameter trap. It has a pig pipe in the center. Just putting the perimeter panels up 1 or 2 at a time. Hoping they will get accustom to going in and out until the gate is set to drop.
Been reading about "sow in heat" attractants. Does anyone have opinion about these? One in particular is Code Blue and it is available at Academy. I have heard about strawberry jello and diesel corn.
What have ya'll had the best results using to get them in a trap?
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Hog attractant - 11/07/17 01:12 AM

Corn is all you need. Add something new and they will get nervous because it not norm same thing if you keep changing attractants over and over.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Hog attractant - 11/07/17 01:14 AM

I've tried a bunch of stuff over the years, including the jello, koolaide,molassas, sweet potatoes, watermelon, etc.... but just plain old corn seems to do just as good as anything else. I do still occasionally sour up a bucket or two of the corn, just to get a little more sweet smell to it. I have a round trap going too, and sometimes it seems like they will completely ignore it and then all of a sudden you will have 20 of them in it at one time. They are just unpredictable!
Posted By: Cowboy9215

Re: Hog attractant - 11/07/17 01:51 AM

I agree. They are very unpredictable. We have a an estimated 250 lb boar we call “lighting” that shows up every night at 7 o clock then slowly makes his way around to all 3 of our feeders throughout the night. Reason we call him lighting is because my FIL had him in crosshairs and at 70 yards heard the safety click and hauled butt. FIL says he’s there in a flash and gone in a flash. Get setup for a night hunt to take him but every time we’re there he’s not there. Nor at any other feeders. It’s like they know we’re there. Funny story Saturday night my FIL goes down to hunt for him. He said the game light never went off. Never heard a peep with all windows open and smoking on black and milds. Gets up to leave, opens door. A average sized hog was bedded down ten feet from behind his blind takes off. Never insisted on walking 70 yards down the hill to the feeder with 100 lbs of corn laid out in a big ol pile
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Hog attractant - 11/07/17 02:59 AM

Corn.
Posted By: Trophytaker3

Re: Hog attractant - 11/07/17 03:02 AM

What he said ^^
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Hog attractant - 11/08/17 12:17 AM

In the old days before all this new fangled stuff, we used an organic attractant that worked well, consistently, didn't dissolve in the rain, and worked regardless of the weather conditions. It was called, "corn."
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Hog attractant - 11/08/17 02:01 PM

Heres a trick that has worked for me several times, set up a bit away from the feeder and pour a thin line of corn down the trail for 75 yards of so. Often trap shy pigs will walk down the line of corn and give you a shot if the wind is in your favor. The kernals corn should be 2-3 feet apart so they sort of have to look for it. I bet a hog can smell a kernal of corn at least 20 feet from it.
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Hog attractant - 11/11/17 03:28 PM

If you are hunting public land where baiting is not allowed are attractants allowed?
Posted By: Land_Man

Re: Hog attractant - 11/11/17 03:41 PM

I agree with corn being the best but we had some fun dumping out a bunch of gatorade powder around our feeders. It seemed to keep the hogs that did come in at the feeder for longer but I don't know that it drew them in any better than regular corn.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum