Texas Hunting Forum

Suppressors across state lines?

Posted By: Midwaytmm

Suppressors across state lines? - 10/29/17 11:57 AM

Anything special needed to travel with them state to state. Goin to ok, where I’d assume there would be no problems , based on rules/regs that I’ve read . But there’s always fine print that can be missed. If anybody has anything that needs sharing, please do it. Thanks
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Suppressors across state lines? - 10/29/17 03:47 PM

Suppressors okay, SBRs and such require you to notify ATF, IIRC.
Posted By: hdfireman

Re: Suppressors across state lines? - 10/29/17 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Suppressors okay, SBRs and such require you to notify ATF, IIRC.

I believe this to be true as well.

You will need to check the state hunting, shooting and possession rules on silencers as well
Posted By: Midwaytmm

Re: Suppressors across state lines? - 10/29/17 05:01 PM

According to my reading, no problem hunting with them . Have a call in to warden there /here to check on travel aspect . Neither was real sure , other than obvious. Both are going to “get back with me “ Just figured somebody would know . Thank for the help
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Suppressors across state lines? - 10/29/17 11:04 PM

Thanks for asking this, good question, I never gave it any thought.
Posted By: RubiconAg

Re: Suppressors across state lines? - 10/30/17 08:22 PM

Yes you need to notify the BATF. Form 5320. Fill it out for a year at a time if you think you might travel there more than once. Also, check the state regs on suppressor ownership, suppressor hunting regs and caliber hunting regs (some state don't allow .22, i.e. .223 to take game).

https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/form20
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Suppressors across state lines? - 10/30/17 09:32 PM

Wow Nick, that was your first post here and you got it wrong as per the citation you provided. NO, you do not need to notify the BATF for transporting a suppressor across state lines. Form 5320 does not apply to suppressors.

Quote:
The ATF requires prior authorization after a written request to transport any destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun under Section 922(a)(4), The ATF does not require this prior authorization for a suppressor.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Suppressors across state lines? - 10/30/17 11:57 PM

Let's see …

They say Google is your friend —

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=transport+suppressor+across+state+line
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Suppressors across state lines? - 11/02/17 02:19 AM

Just do it
Posted By: RubiconAg

Re: Suppressors across state lines? - 11/02/17 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Wow Nick, that was your first post here and you got it wrong as per the citation you provided. NO, you do not need to notify the BATF for transporting a suppressor across state lines. Form 5320 does not apply to suppressors.

Quote:
The ATF requires prior authorization after a written request to transport any destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun under Section 922(a)(4), The ATF does not require this prior authorization for a suppressor.

You're right, I litteraly had just read the article below about traveling with SBR's across state lines and had just tied suppressors to it as well (I don't shoot my sbr's without a suppressor). My info above was wrong, DNS is correct.

http://www.myguntrust.com/how-can-i-take-my-sbr-out-of-state-legally.html
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum