Texas Hunting Forum

New to hog hunting question

Posted By: Azbassassin

New to hog hunting question - 10/28/17 09:19 PM

So only been hunting Texas a couple years and acquired and AR with a armasight predator. Having a blast being able to see at night. Question is how close do you like to stalk in? Some of the videos I’ve watched guys look like their getting really close.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: New to hog hunting question - 10/28/17 09:26 PM

I don’t like to get closer than 50 yards usually closer to 100 yards on a sounder because I feel like I can see more of them longer so more shot opportunities. It is fun getting close sometimes though.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: New to hog hunting question - 10/28/17 09:46 PM

It depends largely on the field of view of your NV gear. Most NV gear has a very limited field of view though, so you really need to think about your second shot before you pull the trigger on the first.
Posted By: Azbassassin

Re: New to hog hunting question - 10/28/17 10:00 PM

Got into 25-30 yards and shot a good boar last night. 15 or so in the herd. Thought I made 3 really good shots but only found the one. I feel like my lowend way to expensive thermal is why i need to get close to go for head shots. Having a pain uploading the photo. Keeps telling me is not a jpeg. Any way depth perception is hard to judge too. Felt like I was farther when I found him this morning I realized I was a lot closer then I thought.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: New to hog hunting question - 10/28/17 10:06 PM

I usually stalk to within 40-75 yards of conditions are right.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: New to hog hunting question - 10/28/17 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: bigjoe8565
I usually stalk to within 40-75 yards of conditions are right.

Yeah, this would be me, too.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: New to hog hunting question - 10/28/17 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
I don’t like to get closer than 50 yards usually closer to 100 yards on a sounder because I feel like I can see more of them longer so more shot opportunities. It is fun getting close sometimes though.

This is me as well. As I hunt alone, usually, 75 yards is about as close as I want to get, assuming I can see what I need to see at that distance. I don't mind standing off farther if conditions are good and I have a clear view. I will get closer if grass is high or I have a lot of cover, but that isn't usually the case.
Posted By: HansETX

Re: New to hog hunting question - 10/29/17 05:13 AM

I've used the armasight predator for about a year now and I have to get to within 50 yards to be able to take a headshot. I've shot hogs from closer but I'd rather not have to.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: New to hog hunting question - 10/29/17 02:13 PM

I've got a golf cart and can sneak up on them close if the wind is right.....
Posted By: djones

Re: New to hog hunting question - 10/29/17 06:15 PM

look at the hog in the scope. if you can't hold steady enough on the spot you want to hit, get closer.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: New to hog hunting question - 10/29/17 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Azbassassin
Got into 25-30 yards and shot a good boar last night. 15 or so in the herd. Thought I made 3 really good shots but only found the one. I feel like my lowend way to expensive thermal is why i need to get close to go for head shots. Having a pain uploading the photo. Keeps telling me is not a jpeg. Any way depth perception is hard to judge too. Felt like I was farther when I found him this morning I realized I was a lot closer then I thought.
a Thermal is pointless if you have to get that close to use it.
Posted By: enigmausly

Re: New to hog hunting question - 10/29/17 08:34 PM

that's all according to conditions ... where I've been lately (further south) the cover is too heavy for shots over about 50 to 70, but last year I was in livestock fields and was able to play tag between 100 and 150 without much issue - over 200 the drop becomes so heavy on my 300 blackout, but 200+ is still fun to try if you can properly identify what your firing at - if you were using a 7.62x51 your predator could probably do fine out to about 300, maybe 400 (that's mainly due to the limited magnification on the predator) ...
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: New to hog hunting question - 11/02/17 02:21 AM

Depends on conditions, I started this year when stalking a lone boar to put down the monopod at around 60 and walk right into him until he detects me and gives me the death stare. I blow him up at that point. I have gotten within 15 yards one time.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum