Texas Hunting Forum

1st time actually to set out to hunt hog

Posted By: chrswr

1st time actually to set out to hunt hog - 09/22/17 12:58 PM

Hello all,

I have shot a hog here and there as they happened across my feeder while deer hunting, but tonight I plan to set out specifically to hunt hog. That being said, I dont have a 'hog light' If i hang a regular battery powered camping lantern under a feeder, will that do more harm than good?

Thanks
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: 1st time actually to set out to hunt hog - 09/22/17 01:33 PM

Get yourself some cheap dusk to dawn solar sidewalk lights. I have 6-8 of these lights at every feeder. It's enough light with a good scope to shot a pig in the vitals. These lights cost $18.00 for a package of 4 at Lowes. Some of my lights have lasted a couple years. It won't take the hogs very long to get comfortable, and before you know it they're ignoring the lights and eating all your corn. I don't think you'd be successful just putting a lantern or other bright light one night and expect the hogs to show. Key is getting them used to the feeder being light up every night.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: 1st time actually to set out to hunt hog - 09/22/17 01:41 PM

chrswr, the light will work and bigjoe's suggestion is a good one, in particular because the light may initially spook the hogs, but they will get used to it after a few days if they do get spooked by it initially. Animals often fear changes to the norm, so you leave a light out and establish a new norm.

Depending on the hogs, of course, the light may not bother them at all.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: 1st time actually to set out to hunt hog - 09/22/17 10:19 PM

I've used the solar motion along with a driveway alert thingy do. They work pretty good.
Posted By: MrWhite87

Re: 1st time actually to set out to hunt hog - 09/23/17 02:07 AM

I've killed quite a few at a feeder but its always been after sunrise or before sunset. I went last week and they were there before sunrise and took off before i had enough light to put the crosshairs on em. I just got a sunforce solar motion light delivered today so I'll be installing it on monday and hope by the next time i get out there theyll be used to it and it will help me stalk in with the light shining at them from my entry direction.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum