Texas Hunting Forum

DOES ELECTRIC FENCING WORK FOR PIGS?

Posted By: scott gurney

DOES ELECTRIC FENCING WORK FOR PIGS? - 11/03/15 11:54 PM

hi - I'm trying to make a 200 acre pig only hunting area for a bunch of buddies and clients. its high fenced with normal 8 ft deer fencing now. how would y'all make this "pig proof". hotwire? one strand? two strands? lay fencing on the ground inside the pen? if so what kind would u lay? help me keep the pigs IN the pen wink lol. i know a weird request. thx! Scott
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: DOES ELECTRIC FENCING WORK FOR PIGS? - 11/04/15 12:10 AM

Use regular net wire instead that way it will be much better in the long run. Heck 32" with a barb on bottom and one on top will do. 39" is more readily available net wire or 47". Feed them well and they will stay in. With electric you will constantly be fighting deer and hogs going over or through it. Maintenance will be much higher and more frequent with electric also.

Re: DOES ELECTRIC FENCING WORK FOR PIGS? - 11/04/15 04:49 AM

good advice!!! any idea who sells the 39" net wire? do u lay it on the ground?
Posted By: passthru

Re: DOES ELECTRIC FENCING WORK FOR PIGS? - 11/05/15 01:04 AM

Contact Skylar at Diamond C ranch. He has a hundred acres penned like that. It's low fenced but hog proof and it's a lot of fun to spot and stalk.
http://www.texasbowhunt.com/
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: DOES ELECTRIC FENCING WORK FOR PIGS? - 11/05/15 02:53 AM

welcome ta texasHF. flag

Re: DOES ELECTRIC FENCING WORK FOR PIGS? - 11/05/15 04:48 AM

thx for the info. looking forward to spot and stalking!!!! thx for the info! scott
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: DOES ELECTRIC FENCING WORK FOR PIGS? - 11/09/15 05:38 AM

I've been on a 100 acre place that was high fenced and kept pigs in. We stalked pigs with bows on the place. The owner had a hot wire down low on the fence to keep the pigs off it. But every night you'd hear at least one pig squeal that hit that wire. He said the boars would also try to fight other boars through the fence. He had to repair the hot wire often.

We use a heavy gauge net wire on one of our big hog traps. You should see how bent up it is where pigs run straight at it trying to get out. They can mess up a regular net wire in a hurry if they wanted to.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum